Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Another Constitutional Amendment

I saw a report of a move to further curtail the gubnor's powers in PA. The tentative change would require any gubnetorial EO's be approved by the legislature after a defined period of time. I think it was 30 days but am not sure.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Default Re: Another Constitutional Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I saw a report of a move to further curtail the gubnor's powers in PA. The tentative change would require any gubnetorial EO's be approved by the legislature after a defined period of time. I think it was 30 days but am not sure.
    I support this fully.

An executive leader needs to have knee jerk power for emergencies that come up. (There is no time to debate when a tornado levels a neighborhood with no warning)

But these EO's that are issued because the governor can't get his way in the legislature have got to go

Emergency powers are fine. But after 30 days there is time for the representation of the people to decide if it's still an emergency

(Butler County)

One one hand I like the thought of that, and the other I don't. While an EO shouldn't be considered "law", it can be easily overridden by the next governor. I think I more strongly side on the fence of one person should not hold that much power without any type of checks and balances. Curious to see the language of the amendment...do you have a link to the report?
    -Brandon

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    One one hand I like the thought of that, and the other I don't. While an EO shouldn't be considered "law", it can be easily overridden by the next governor. I think I more strongly side on the fence of one person should not hold that much power without any type of checks and balances. Curious to see the language of the amendment...do you have a link to the report?
    Not right now, it was on channel 17 this afternoon and it was the first I'd heard of it so I think it's breaking news.

(Lancaster County)

House bill 2069 sorry should be House bill 2070

(Berks County)

I thought something like that passed by voter referendum back in May?

Legislature site shows 'Removed from table, Nov. 17, 2021.' A quick search shows that means it goes on the second consideration calendar. If after 15 days nothing happens, it gets a second consideration on the next legislative day. I guess that means it just gets reconsidered by the committee, starting the process over again?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I thought something like that passed by voter referendum back in May?

Legislature site shows 'Removed from table, Nov. 17, 2021.' A quick search shows that means it goes on the second consideration calendar. If after 15 days nothing happens, it gets a second consideration on the next legislative day. I guess that means it just gets reconsidered by the committee, starting the process over again?
    May was regarding the SOE declaration. Constitutional amendments need to be voted on and pass in two separate legislative sessions then they get put to a vote by The People.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wallyone View Post
    House bill 2069 sorry should be House bill 2070
    There are two separate issues. One regarding EO's and I don't quite understand what the other one is

(York County)

SOE = State of Emergency - An SOE is declared in order to obtain power, during a natural disaster or other emergency (temporary) situation, that is not normally available and to access federal funds and services that are not normally available. But recently, conditions that have already existed for quite some time, and are not temporary, have been the subject of SOE's in a never ending power grab.

EO = Executive Order - These are orders issued by the Head of the Executive Branch of government. These are sometimes issued to address processes & procedures in the Executive Branch, over which the Executive rightly has responsibility. But most recently, these EO's have been issued to inappropriately enact new goals and policies, as an attempt to circumvent the WILL of The People as expressed by the Legislative Branch of government.

Last edited by ImminentDanger; November 23rd, 2021 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    May was regarding the SOE declaration. Constitutional amendments need to be voted on and pass in two separate legislative sessions then they get put to a vote by The People.
    You know what happens when the people vote, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast