Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Handstop Installation

On a pistol or SBR (and maybe even a rifle), how would a handstop be installed? I have seen it pictured both ways, at the front of the hand and at the rear of the hand. Mostly to the rear of the hand. And then there's a little one you can put in front of the hand to make a notch for the hand out of the two.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Handstop Installation

It depends on what you are using for a hand guard. It might have picatinny rails, keymod or Mlok. If you*re using two piece plastic can guards then it*s just drilled into the bottom half and bolted in place. It*s really personal preference whether you mount it in front of your pointer finger or back of your pinky just be careful you*re not using a vertical foregrip on a pistol.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    On a pistol or SBR (and maybe even a rifle), how would a handstop be installed? I have seen it pictured both ways, at the front of the hand and at the rear of the hand. Mostly to the rear of the hand. And then there's a little one you can put in front of the hand to make a notch for the hand out of the two.
    In front of the hand (between your hand and the muzzle). I've an angled fore grip with a built-in handstop on my KSG. Don't want my hand accidentally sliding in front of the muzzle.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    It depends on what you are using for a hand guard. It might have picatinny rails, keymod or Mlok. If you*re using two piece plastic can guards then it*s just drilled into the bottom half and bolted in place. It*s really personal preference whether you mount it in front of your pointer finger or back of your pinky just be careful you*re not using a vertical foregrip on a pistol.
    Picatinny mounted. Thanks, I'll play around with it and see what feels the best. No vertical foregrip involved here but I will remember the advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by maille man View Post
    In front of the hand (between your hand and the muzzle). I've an angled fore grip with a built-in handstop on my KSG. Don't want my hand accidentally sliding in front of the muzzle.
    I was thinking that maybe having it behind the hand would help pull it tight into place.

I look at it this way, if my hand slips back, toward me, no big deal. If my hand slides forward, could be a big deal.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by maille man View Post
    I look at it this way, if my hand slips back, toward me, no big deal. If my hand slides forward, could be a big deal.
    That is logical, could end up like Gaige Grossgrits.

(Montgomery County)

Could go either way. It's mostly for an indexing point. On a pistol/SBR it can be used to prevent slipping forward in front of muzzle. It can also be used the opposite way to pull into your shoulder for recoil control and stability. Really it's preference IMO .

The Magpul pack that they sell has sort of an assortment so you can experiment. The Sig Tread pack does the same.

(Bucks County)

On rifles I use a stubby BCM vertical front grip as a hand stop as well as a grip..... You could mount something like that as well as small front hand stop.

I use the hand stop to pull the rifle into the shoulder and chest area when shooting.....

For a AR type pistol a front hand stop would make sense.

These are pretty minimal and work well..

https://arisakadefense.com/control-accessories/

(Franklin County)

Mine is positioned so it splits my index and middle fingers with all fingers on the handguard.
    For me, it's main purpose is to give me a quick reference where my hand and fingers are so I know they aren't near the muzzle.
    The Hostler