Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cost to build an AR platform from an 80% lower kit?

I had the idea to get one of these 80% lower kits. Not that I need it, but just to have it in a box somewhere, just in case. I was watching some youtube videos of the machining processes to finish the 80% lower receiver, then I got to thinking. Even once the lower receiver is finished, you still need everything else to make a complete rifle, and buying it all piece by piece is surely more expensive than just getting a regular rifle in the first place, right? I doubt it would be cheaper.

I never really wanted an AR platform rifle, because EVERYBODY has "one of those". But if I did ever get one, I would want it to be identical to the M16A1 I had for part of my time in the US Army back in the late 80s-early 90s. Smooth triangular front grip assembly, no annoying bump in the middle of the pistol grip, etc.

When I was in, at different units I was stationed at, some had the full auto M16A1 with the smooth triangular front barrel cover, and some had the A2 version, with 3 round burst instead of full auto, and the round barrel hand grip and that annoying bump in the middle of the pistol grip. I never liked those features. That pistol grip tore up my hand more and it wasn't comfortable.

But has anyone ever built one or at least priced out all the needed parts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Cost to build an AR platform from an 80% lower kit?

Has anyone ever...

LOL! OK, I stopped advertising how many I own a while ago, but I've built plenty of them "one piece at a time".
    That's the beauty of the AR15. Broke-ass people like myself, who can't pull $500-$700 out of our ass to buy a rifle off the shelf, CAN buy them one part at a time and chuck the parts into a box until everything is there - ready to build.

The answer to your question about whether it's cheaper to buy or to build is... "it depends".

I can absolutely build one cheaper than buying one - depending on what year it is, or exactly WHAT TYPE I'm building.
    Prices swing wildly depending on the political climate. At some points in time, you could build a basic, M4-style carbine for FAR less than buying one, but at other times, it was almost a wash because complete guns were priced so low it was unreal.

Right NOW is a GOOD time to buy parts.
    Complete guns are still priced high after the covid panic buying rush, but they are coming back down to reasonable levels.

All that said, what YOU want to build will cost a bit more than a basic M4-style because those parts are in demand for "retro" builds.
    Manufacturers don't mass produce what you want in the quantities that allow for low prices.
    I've never build a retro gun, but I believe you could BUILD one for less than it would cost to buy a complete gun because complete rifles in that style are marketed as "retro" and command a higher price.

I'm at a point where I can look at a complete rifle and "price it out in my head" and see if I could build it for less.
    If you need any pointers on parts sources, just ask.
    There are probably others here better informed on where to get the type of upper and other retro parts.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Something to consider with an 80% lower is you need a jig. Jigs cost money. So if you're doing it purely to save money, you may be better off buying a stripped lower receiver for $50 and having your local ffl receive it.

I first bought my 80% lower for $30 then a jig for $150, then a two axis vice that i mounted under my drill press for $50 and worked that thing for about 8 hours and it was brutal. So for my second 80% lower, I was able to reuse the $150 jig, but then I bought a $1200 milling machine, and milled that sucker out in about 2 hours, and it was much easier. Then my 3rd 80%, and 4th, etc. 80% lowers cost about as much as stripped lower receivers, so what you're saving is the FFL transfer fee. You need to do a lot of milling to start saving money on an 80% vs buying a stripped lower.

That said you can get a full kit for $400-500 minus stripped lower receiver, then buy the stripped lower receiver, and assemble. Or you can buy an ar15 for $500. Or you can buy an 80% and dick around for 3 days finishing it, then assemble it with your kit for $400-500.

I'm sure others have different experiences, but this was mine.

(Berks County)

I have a compact lathe/mill and one of our members here come over and milled his out and I watched. Another member here bought a jig and a router and brought it over and milled his out, his worked pretty good and went quick but he had a bit of money in his equipment by the time he was done. Ours on the mill were less than perfect but as my mentor put it, we don't need perfection. I forget how long it took us but it was not as quick as I was expecting. I bought a full kit off of Durkin Tactical at Oaks for $300 and got me a $340 AR-15 that shoots fine. Those kits are a lot more today. I'm not familiar with the platform so I don't know anything about the differences of which you speak.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

I love this video.
    Unfortunately, Youtube deleted it, so I can't embed it.
    Allowing for some exaggeration as well as the drastic price differences between now and when it was filed, it makes a lot of sense.

https://www.freedomtv.com/video/270/stop-buying-ar-15-s

(Lancaster County)

Do not get into 80% lowers to save money. The tooling necessary is expensive to start to say the least. Only do it if you are passionate in building it yourself for that purpose. If you want one off the books just buy private. Once you start making your own, 80%s that is, you will build multiple guns.......opposite of saving money. They become potato chips, never can be one and done.

If you wan to save money and make 80%, PSA full kits or PSA lower parts kit and a BCA upper(350 bucks or 330 bucks respectively). And maybe a 3D printer...makes lowers for 10 dollars, as Ive heard....

(Bucks County)

Combat armory has recently had deals where you can build a complete rifle for around $360, including complete lower. You could use all those parts on your own lower, then sell the factory lower.

(York County)

I have built ARs in most every caliber.
    I would never consider an 80% lower.
    Anderson lower (used to be about $39)
    Anderson lower parts kit (used to be about $29)
    Tapco 6 position stock kit with buffer tube, spring, buffer and nut (used to be about $29)
    Rubber butt pad and USGI sling $30.
    Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper $200 to $300.
    So, I used to be able to build a complete AR15 for about $450 including tax and shipping.

Now you are looking at around $500 to $ 600 to DIY not to mention the cost of the tools.

So, I must agree with another member that unless you really enjoy building it's probably just cheaper to buy one.
    Rock Island Auction (https://www.rockislandauction.com/) recently sold several of my ARs and that's a real eye opener to what they are really worth these days.

(Allegheny County)

The benefit of building is also what keeps it from being less expensive.
    When YOU pick and choose the individual parts, you tend to upgrade here and there, vs building a bone-stock carbine.

Not that paying "more" is a bad thing, it's still typically less than buying something similar, but you end up with exactly what you want, and don't need to compromise, or upgrade parts later.

(Luzerne County)

I suspect that building one is not going to save you much if anything. I milled a polymer lower on a drill press. My son had the jig. It went Ok and is now complete with a 7.62 X39 upper. It works just fine. (I also have two factory guns. Colts.)
    Right now there are two 80% lowers in jigs on the work bench, one polymer, the other aluminum. The parts kit for completion is sitting in a drawer.
    Note: all of the necessary tooling, jigs, etc were either on hand or was given/lent to me. If I had had to buy that stuff, i would just have gone and bought a finished lower.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...