Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: Psychiatric Evaluation for Fitness of Gun Ownership Psychiatrist Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I may have read the original statement wrong.

I understood it as "The lawyer wouldn't let me see ANY shrink he knows, not THAT SPECIFIC shrink."

I would think though that if the lawyer believe the OP had a valid case he would use whatever the appropriate resource was to prove that case in court. If the lawyer wasn't willing to use his psychiatric resource it tells me the lawyer didn't think the case was a winner.

That was what I was getting at.

I mean why have an expert shrink witness if you don't ever use him?

Also why would the OP need THAT shrink? Go to ANY shrink who is willing to testify. For that matter, go to ANY lawyer. If the first one doesn't want to help you, pick a different one.

What I'm getting at is that the whole OP seems like it is lacking some key relevant information.

I've had trouble finding attorneys who specialize in this type of work. It seems like there are only a handful in the Pittsburgh area. I don't know who has a good track record and my attorneys that I use for real estate transfers and when I had a client that didn't want to pay their $10,000 bill doesn't handle these kinds of cases. I could use a good recommendation.

As to using a specific psychiatrist, WHY NOT JUST ANY, is because there are very few who will do a fitness for gun ownership evaluation. It's a specialty that most psychiatrists and psychologists do not do. Fortunately, I've received an excellent recommendation for someone very experienced in this field and am going to consult them.

Tom

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Psychiatric Evaluation for Fitness of Gun Ownership Psychiatrist Recommendation

Not an NRA member. Going to join. Will contact the bar association.

Thank you.

Tom

(Allegheny County)

You don't owe anyone any more info about your personal life than you care to volunteer.

You came here to ask a legitimate question and got the typical "this guy seems shady" response.
    Just ignore the people who aren't interested in helping you.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

SIgForLife's recommendation is excellent, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You don't owe anyone any more info about your personal life than you care to volunteer.

You came here to ask a legitimate question and got the typical "this guy seems shady" response.
    Just ignore the people who aren't interested in helping you.
    I couldn't agree with this more.

(Philadelphia County)

I would start with your current psych. I can imagine many even pro gun ones will be hesitant to do this for a stranger who has a 302 on their record. ....

(Juniata County)

There are lots of 302s. Do some digging on the forum, one member posted in detail his struggles to get his rights back.

He did, eventually.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    There are lots of 302s. Do some digging on the forum, one member posted in detail his struggles to get his rights back.

He did, eventually.
    I think you're thinking of me and the hell I went through with mine. Here is who I used for my Psych eval - http://www.centrepsychology.com/

He was really good it was a 2-3 hr appointment and cost around $250 if memory serves me correct. Probably a bit of a drive (3hr's or so) for the OP I'd guess. You'll have an initial interview then you take a long test consisting of 250+ questions then you have a post interview to go over the test and he'll ask more questions. From there it'll take him a couple of days to finish the report and send you and your lawyer copies.

As for a lawyer I'd recommend Joshua Prince, that's who I worked with and he was amazing and stuck through all the bs with me. The only downside I can see for the OP is he's on the opposite end of the state, if you have a court trial he's going to need to travel so be prepared to pay for that although he was very reasonable with his travel time with me (Not quite as far though).

(Chester County)

Ask Sigforlife or Gunlawyer if they have a recommendation for a lawyer near you and then go from there.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Ask Sigforlife or Gunlawyer if they have a recommendation for a lawyer near you and then go from there.
    Gunlawyer already weighed in... That he didn't see fit (at least publicly) to make a recommendation is - I think - significant.
    DGAF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast