Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Historic price for 12G buckshot and slugs?

It's been a long time since I priced anything 12 gauge that wasnt #7 or #8 shot. What's the going rate for buckshot and slugs? And maybe more than that, what WAS the price before 2020?

TIA

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Historic price for 12G buckshot and slugs?

I used to be able to get slugs and buckshot for about $5-$6 for a 5-pack for Federal, Remington, and other similarly name-brands.

About a month ago I was in the market for some more of each, I was able to score a Federal Premium 2.75" 1oz slug 5-pack for $5.99 at a LGS(last one in the shop). Most other LGS's were about $9.99 on up to about $15 per 5-pack, if they even had any. And I got (2) 10-packs of Wolf 2.75" 00 Buck for $14.99 each at Dunhams.

Sitting here right now looking that the boxes on my desk.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northumberland County)

Thanks. That's about what I was remembering...$1.00 or so per round, give or take. But honestly its been so long, and so much has changed that I hated to go on memory. Seem to recall $.50 or $.60 a round after rebate too, but that has to be at least 10 years ago.

Shame about the buckshot, sounds like that's jumped up some.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Thanks. That's about what I was remembering...$1.00 or so per round, give or take. But honestly its been so long, and so much has changed that I hated to go on memory. Seem to recall $.50 or $.60 a round after rebate too, but that has to be at least 10 years ago.

I remember getting federal PowerBall slugs a few years ago on blackfriday for $1 or $1.99 per 5 rounds and estate buckshot fro$70 per 250

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post

Yeah, about $1 per round was common for a long time. From at least the late 1980's on up until the Obama Ammo Crisis. Then it jumped up, but shotgun ammo came down relatively soon after(unlike rimfire and centerfire ammo).

In that period from late '80s until recent, excepting that Obama thing, $5 per 5-pack was the norm. And then you could find it for $4 per 5-pack during store sales. Then there was that occasional rebate thing you mention.

I always figured I'd spend $5 for a 5pck of slugs or buckshot, and about the same for a 25pck of birdshot for 12, 16, or 20ga. 28ga and .410bore were usually 20% to 100% more per pack, depending on the load type.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I remember getting federal PowerBall slugs a few years ago on blackfriday for $1 or $1.99 per 5 rounds and estate buckshot fro$70 per 250
    "Tru ball" wasnt it? Funny you mention, I those were one of the ones I got a hell of a rebate on. Kinda forgot about those. Actually might have a few loose ones laying around yet, now that I think of it. Used to be a maroon colored shell I think.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yeah, about $1 per round was common for a long time. From at least the late 1980's on up until the Obama Ammo Crisis. Then it jumped up, but shotgun ammo came down relatively soon after(unlike rimfire and centerfire ammo).

In that period from late '80s until recent, excepting that Obama thing, $5 per 5-pack was the norm. And then you could find it for $4 per 5-pack during store sales. Then there was that occasional rebate thing you mention.

I always figured I'd spend $5 for a 5pck of slugs or buckshot, and about the same for a 25pck of birdshot for 12, 16, or 20ga. 28ga and .410bore were usually 20% to 100% more per pack, depending on the load type.
    That makes sense. It's bringing some of it back to me now. I was always a little closer to the birdshot pricing, rarely ever bought slugs, and buck was even less than slugs. Basically only bought buck when it was on sale (which is probably part of why the current prices seem so bad too).