Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roku follow up

(Berks County)

Default Re: Roku follow up

I found out that the local library loans out movies for free.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    If you*re going to look into YouTube tv skip the Rokus. They*re in a pissing contest.
    I heard possibly Amazon Prime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I found out that the local library loans out movies for free.
    yeah, my local library is my bathroom... in the sticks

However, another cool thing is that I'm going to put all my dvds on a 4tb hard drive and plug it right into roku, plays right through their system
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    If you’re going to look into YouTube tv skip the Rokus. They’re in a pissing contest.
    Google sent me a free Chromecast, which is basically a firestick, with voice response, buttons for Youtube TV, etc. This is nothing like the old Chromecast, which just put your computer video on your TV. I use Youtube TV, mostly for the free unlimited DVR, and local stations. It's not really a DVR, but it looks like one when you use it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    I heard possibly Amazon Prime as well.

I have had no problems with AP and several different Rokus both hardwired and wireless.

(Allegheny County)

Don't go out of your way to get a Roku built in as the TV will last longer than the Roku firmware can be updated leaving you with a limited experience. Spend the extra money on a better TV and get a separate Roku.
    Cheaper to upgrade in 4 years

(Northampton County)

I have several Roku units. We cancelled cable a couple of years ago and never looked back. I'd recommend fubo if you're looking for something equivalent to cable but at about a third the cost. They have most of the channels we actually ever watched when we had cable. Other recommended Roku channels would include IMDB, various Filmrise channels, Tubi, and, the Roku Channel. You'll end up watching commercials on these but they cost nothing.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by claudel View Post
    I have had no problems with AP and several different Rokus both hardwired and wireless.
    I read earlier this month Amazon may yank AP from Roku. Just as Google is pulling You Tube from Roku. Sucks, I've been using Roku for years and watch those two channels quite a bit.

https://popculture.com/streaming/new...-roku-removal/

Here's an excerpt :
    The latest bout of Roku's contract negotiations comes amid them losing their battle to Google for YouTube. YouTube is the most in-demand platform in the U.S. The fight between Google and Roku boiled down to Google wanting data and search results. In the end, Google announced it would pull YouTube from all new devices beginning in Dec.

The difference between Amazon's battle with Roku and Google is that Roku has more to lose if they don't give in to what Amazon is asking for. Roku sells many of their gadgets, including their televisions, through Amazon's online retailer. It's suspected that they do not want to lose that option.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    I read earlier this month Amazon may yank AP from Roku. Just as Google is pulling You Tube from Roku. Sucks, I've been using Roku for years and watch those two channels quite a bit.

https://popculture.com/streaming/new...-roku-removal/

Here's an excerpt :
    The latest bout of Roku's contract negotiations comes amid them losing their battle to Google for YouTube. YouTube is the most in-demand platform in the U.S. The fight between Google and Roku boiled down to Google wanting data and search results. In the end, Google announced it would pull YouTube from all new devices beginning in Dec.

The difference between Amazon's battle with Roku and Google is that Roku has more to lose if they don't give in to what Amazon is asking for. Roku sells many of their gadgets, including their televisions, through Amazon's online retailer. It's suspected that they do not want to lose that option.

Thanks! I didn't realize there was that sort of issues. Greed rather than technology...

(Allegheny County)

I was going to ditch my firestick for a Roku, but if it can't access Amazon Prime it won't be nearly as useful to me. Every single update they do to the firestick makes it a worse experience. Everyone craps on the Prime video website being terrible but it's about 30x better than the stupid firestick UI.
    F*#K THE ATF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast