Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Living in a camper with guns

So my wife is discussing selling our home when we retire and buying a truck/nice sized travel trailer. Give me your opinions

obviously i can't have a million guns. (my guitars will be on the chopping block too) what gun(s) would you keep for travelling around the country?

What steps would you take to stay on the right side of the law?

huge question, but i better start thinking about it now...
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

Default Re: Living in a camper with guns

I have known quite a few RV friends mostly in Florida ,They all have firearms some have a favorite rifle but most have S&W snub revolvers or lean to the Ruger 9mm single stack .Also hardly any of them go to the range anymore but we do on occasion get out to hunt on the Cecil Webb area of Punta Gorda Fl.

(Berks County)

I'm no lawyer, but the RV lifestyle with guns surely means educating yourself thoroughly on state laws. FOPA allows transportation through, but if you decide to (or for some emergency reason need to) stop in a state that has strict handgun laws, you could potentially be in for some rough times.

Yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but still.

First off I have never camped at a private camp ground that allowed guns. That being said, having camped from Canada to the gulf of Mexico I have always found full timers that had at least 1 gun with them. Securing a gun in a camper is hard. The camper will be built with thin walls and easily breakable doors and locks. If you decide to carry a gun with you, you will have to figure the best way for you to secure a gun.
    I have been know to carry a 20 ga. coach gun and a 1911. RV sites have discussed this issue a lot. RV.net is a good place to look at . It will cover all your RV questions.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

I've considered this, even though I'm a long way from retirement. First off, I wouldn't want to get rid of any guns My thought is that I would probably still maintain a "home base" somewhere with a physical address. Most likely in a location where I would spend a couple months out of the year. Probably easier to have a physical address for mailing and tax purposes also. So whether that be a small house/cabin type place, a lot with a garage on it, or a relatives house, that's where the bulk of my guns would be. I'd probably take 3 or so on the road with me depending on where I was going to be. IE... 22lr, a shotgun, and a handgun or some combo like that.

(Chester County)

Do you have a relative who would be willing to proving safe and secure storage for your guitars and firearms?

Determine a fair storage fee price to compensate them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    So my wife is discussing selling our home when we retire and buying a truck/nice sized travel trailer. Give me your opinions

obviously i can't have a million guns. (my guitars will be on the chopping block too) what gun(s) would you keep for travelling around the country?

This is a grey area because a camper while travelling is treated as a vehicle, but while camping it's treated more like a home as far as searches go. I think of it as if you are staying in a hotel, FOPA applies while driving but if you need to stay overnight to complete your trip, your hotel room is treated as your residence.
    This is not legal advice, only my opinion and what I would do. Get rid of rifles, they take up too much room and are too hard to hide. Get a compact or subcompact pistol or revolver (10 rounds or less) of your choice in a moderate caliber (9mm, 38/357 or 380). Something that can double as home defense and concealed carry, and can easily be hidden and locked up out of site, and if discovered in a 2A unfriendly state it won't draw as much hatred for being a "hi capacity killing machine". If I were to do this I would choose either my Glock 42 or my j frame 38. Yes, a 38 or 380 are serious compromises in caliper but they meet the requirements of being easily hidden, easily concealed, 10 round compliant, limited penetration of thin RV walls and they're not big scary monsters. My experience travelling through Maryland leads me to know that, for me, a revolver is actually easier to meet FOPA because of the ease of loading and unloading. Some states aren't clear whether they consider a loaded mag to mean a loaded gun because the mag is part of the gun system. A speed loader or speed strip isn't considered part of the gun because it's not bought or needed as part of the functioning system of the gun. Arguably they could be considered an ammo storage product.
    Anyway my opinion and what I would do is keep a snubby 38 and a nice lock box hidden in the camper, or in the vehicle or your person where legal.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I have also been thinking about doing the full time RVing thing, we are thinking of going the Truck & 5th Wheel route. Possibly living in AZ & ID for half the year.

My plan has been to get down to just a few handguns (almost there already). My wife EDCs a Glock 26, I also have one that I found a while back with a grip reduction/stippling job that fits my hand perfectly. We would each carry a 26, and have a third spare 26 and a J frame also.

I am covered by the Retired LEOSA regs for travelling and we would get AZ permits, so travelling between AZ and ID wouldn't be a problem.

A problem I see is storage of ammo.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    My wife and I have also been thinking about doing the full time RVing thing, we are thinking of going the Truck & 5th Wheel route. Possibly living in AZ & ID for half the year.

My plan has been to get down to just a few handguns (almost there already). My wife EDCs a Glock 26, I also have one that I found a while back with a grip reduction/stippling job that fits my hand perfectly. We would each carry a 26, and have a third spare 26 and a J frame also.

I am covered by the Retired LEOSA regs for travelling and we would get AZ permits, so travelling between AZ and ID wouldn't be a problem.

A problem I see is storage of ammo.
    Well yeah, your biggest problem is ammo, as long as you keep up with your annual LEOSA quals, you don't really have the same legal mine field that the OP does.
    I'm a believer in strong states rights, but it infuriates me to see good people jacked up for no reason.
    The Hostler

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post

Who is she discussing this with?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast