Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Bullet Trap Plans

I want to build a bullet trap so I can shoot inside my pole barn. I can get out to 50 feet and would just be shooting pistols/PCCs.

I am thinking about something that has a 2' x 2' opening and can make it plenty deep. Want some guidance as to what angles the back plates should be to minimize bounce back, lead dusting, etc. I am guessing that .25" thick plate should be sufficient, but don't really know.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Bullet Trap Plans

Mild steel deforms fairly easily. Granted you're talking about rounds hitting on an angle so it wont take the full force, but I'd probably go thicker than 1/4" for the strike surface. Especially for hotter loads and lots of PCC use (velocity implications). I assume you're talking centerfire use... rimfire shouldn't be much issue.

Dont know about the angle, but I'd guess you'd want it at 45 degrees, maybe more.

try ar500 plates at a 45degree and the important thing is the medium in the bottom, I say use cat litter. the porus clay colapses down absorbing the impact l
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Clarion County)

Built one quite awhile ago to catch cast in back of the garage.
    Quite a few ideas here, exhaustive thread: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...recycling-lead
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

Lots of horse stall mat layered in front of the steel ar500 back plate will prevent splash and easily be replaced once shot out

(Susquehanna County)

Ever see the "clearing drums" that used to be set up outside of Army finance offices or MP stations. Just a 55 gallon drum set at an angle and filled with rock free soil or sand. Why not a 55 gallon drum filled with sand set on a pedestal with a plywood disc to hold the sand in and serve as a target carrier? Cheap, easy to build, large enough target area, 18" of soil will stop most rounds, at least according to Army manuals.

(Washington County)

Minimally a 45 degree slope with 1/2" AR-500 for backing with sand at the base. Last you a lifetime and since it's only you shooting, doesn't need to be all that big of bullet trap. 1/4" AR500 will work, but go with the 1/2" AR500 if it's in your budget and then you won't need to worry when you shoot that bigger pistol. As someone else posted, make sure to install a blast shield in front, such as a piece of used thin conveyor belt on sides and back, so you don't get any bullet flakes coming back at you.

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 2
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)