Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default ⚠️ Report: Pa. ranked one of the deadliest states for winter driving crashes

☃️ Winter is approaching and a new report puts the Commonwealth among the top deadliest states for winter driving accidents.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...3-b553df4b5603

Default Re: ⚠️ Report: Pa. ranked one of the deadliest states for winter driving crashes

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    ** Winter is approaching and a new report puts the Commonwealth among the top deadliest states for winter driving accidents.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...3-b553df4b5603
    I blame the city people who have no clue as to the basic skills needed in winter driving conditions.
    Know how your vehicle behaves in snow and ice, at what speeds, and a realistic capability of driver and vehicle as a unit.
    If you don't know HOW to drive in snow and ice competently then stay home .
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: ⚠️ Report: Pa. ranked one of the deadliest states for winter driving crashes

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I blame the city people who have no clue as to the basic skills needed in winter driving conditions.
    Know how your vehicle behaves in snow and ice, at what speeds, and a realistic capability of driver and vehicle as a unit.
    If you don't know HOW to drive in snow and ice competently then stay home .
    Exactly practice practice practice 🤠

(Bucks County)

I used to love driving in the snow. Nowadays, (at least in in this area) it’s less fun than the Bataan death march.

I’ve never seen more clueless MF’ers in my life.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Tioga County)

In PA, winter is not as bad as some other more northern or western states, but you still need winter tires.

From my observation much of the accidents could be reduced if people used proper snow tires. Just my cursory view of looking at tires from vehicles involved in crashes here in winter, I see a lot of crappy tires.

Even if you have a junky car, I'd put some damn good snow tires on it. Grip means a lot.

(Bucks County)

They need to install road condition buttons on the dash so a computer can take over applied power and gear selection. Also auto-steering correction for countering a skid. Of course, there's already controls readily available to those who can't manage ice and snow. Park and Off.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    In PA, winter is not as bad as some other more northern or western states, but you still need winter tires.

From my observation much of the accidents could be reduced if people used proper snow tires.
    Just my cursory view of looking at tires from vehicles involved in crashes here in winter, I see a lot of crappy tires.

Even if you have a junky car, I'd put some damn good snow tires on it. Grip means a lot.

^^^THIS.

Vehicle handling in snow and icy conditions is a direct function on the grip of the tires and the weather-compromised surface, and the fraction of the vehicle's weight on a given tire. So-called "all season" tires are not, when facing PA winters. IMO and experience, ice-type snow treads with high silica in the rubber and thousands of sipes are the way to go. Technology (VSC and other computer controls) may be able to compensate to a degree, but it still boils down to pure physics. Last summer I watched a vehicle with traction control sit and spin two tires on wet grass and topsoil, and heard the ABS doing its thing to compensate. Three of us ended up pushing the car onto the gravel.

I've used Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, or Nokia Haakaapellitta R2 and R3 winter tires on all four corners of vehicle since the early 1990s, and studded snow treads before that. The ice-type snow tires go in the direction I point the vehicle, and provide for controlled braking whether I do it, or the ABS does. IMO, a set of these types of tires are low-cost insurance against a collision that at best is costly in terms of vehicle repairs, let alone human body repairs or worse. A few times my ice-type snow tires gave me the ability to steer / accelerate out of the path of a driver who was sliding totally out of control, avoiding an accident.

Some of you might say, "I've run all-seasons since the early 90s and never had problems," and I'm happy for you. That tells me that either a) You don't live where it gets particularly nasty on a regular basis (north of I-80 for example), b) You simply don't drive when it is shitty, or c) You haven't yet wrecked.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Blame the suv drivers that drive like spongebob because they have 4x4.

Winter driving in Pa. is a test ! A good friend who moved up from Florida 10 years ago was hit by a tractor trailer that slid thru the red light and took her life at 53 years old !

(York County)

It's because we get snow irregularly. Places like Upstate NY or Minnesota that get it all the time know how to deal. Here, the snow happens irregularly enough that folks have basically 'forgot' whatever 'learnin' they had from last go-round driving on snow.
    DGAF

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast