Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: ⚠️ Report: Pa. ranked one of the deadliest states for winter driving crashes

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Blame the suv drivers that drive like spongebob because they have 4x4.
    Theres no problem driving your 4x4 in snow and ice if you KNOW how to drive it.
    Yeah they can go a bit faster, and do some shit that would spin out the 2X cars because they have the correct equipment (Tires, AWD, traction control) and experience to do so.
    I usually see the 2wd cars are the ones in the snowbanks or rooftop bobsled team because they have no clue how to drive out of a skid, or avoid another car that is spinning out, or drive uphill on an ice covered road, hell a lot cant even stop at a stop light.
    stay home.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

Default Re: ⚠️ Report: Pa. ranked one of the deadliest states for winter driving crashes

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    In PA, winter is not as bad as some other more northern or western states, but you still need winter tires.
    Or a Subaru with decent rubber and all-wheel drive.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Snow rated tires would be better.

I'm on my 2nd set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W 'all terrain tires that are also '3 peak' snow rated for my Silverado. I only have 4x4 for hunting camp; sold my CJ5 in 1977...

4 wheel drive:

gets in trouble 4x as fast, needs to be towed out 4x as far, costs 4x as much to fix. Might go with 4x4 but takes 4x as long to stop and that's what most people forget.

My wife's Forester with the stock tires is good on snow covered roads but it is not a 4x4 though, compared to a front wheel drive, it does a good job.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    It's because we get snow irregularly. Places like Upstate NY or Minnesota that get it all the time know how to deal. Here, the snow happens irregularly enough that folks have basically 'forgot' whatever 'learnin' they had from last go-round driving on snow.
    "Irregularly"... On that note...

Is it worth spending the money on new tires just on the off chance we get some snow covered roads once or twice this coming winter?

I have always tried to have decent tires on the vehicles heading into winter. In the past, I kept winter and summer tires/wheels to simply swap out at home.

Right now, I have two vehicles with maybe "half tread" left on their tires. Plenty of life left, but not what I want for snow.
    Put new tires on BOTH cars? Not possible. As always, multiple unexpected expenses leave me scratching my head - do I spend money I don't really have to equip ONE vehicle with new tires, or just roll the dice and see if I can get through the winter on the tires as they are?

I always badmouthed people who run tires not suitable for winter driving during the winter, but here I am now... understanding why many of them probably do it. (although I can't completely dismiss "stupidity" either)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

In PA, winter is not as bad as some other more northern or western states, but you still need winter tires.

From my observation much of the accidents could be reduced if people used proper snow tires. Just my cursory view of looking at tires from vehicles involved in crashes here in winter, I see a lot of crappy tires.

Even if you have a junky car, I'd put some damn good snow tires on it. Grip means a lot.
    Good tires, yes, but people also need to SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!

In good conditions, I'm one of the fastest drivers on the road. In bad snow and ice, half of other drivers are passing me. It's idiotic. SUV's seem to be the worst offenders. It's funny how many wind up in the ditch. 4WD doesn't do squat when you're sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Theres no problem driving your 4x4 in snow and ice if you KNOW how to drive it.
    Yeah they can go a bit faster, and do some shit that would spin out the 2X cars because they have the correct equipment (Tires, AWD, traction control) and experience to do so.
    I usually see the 2wd cars are the ones in the snowbanks or rooftop bobsled team because they have no clue how to drive out of a skid, or avoid another car that is spinning out, or drive uphill on an ice covered road, hell a lot cant even stop at a stop light.
    stay home.
    After I posted that, I thought the exact same you wrote. But most dont know how.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Yep. I switched to all wheel drive subarus when I moved to the poconos. I was also fortunate that I worked evenings and missed the rush hours. I also knew some hills weren't worth taking a chance on in bad weather and a longer safer detour is better than getting stuck in a ditch.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    ^^^THIS.

Vehicle handling in snow and icy conditions is a direct function on the grip of the tires and the weather-compromised surface, and the fraction of the vehicle's weight on a given tire. So-called "all season" tires are not, when facing PA winters. IMO and experience, ice-type snow treads with high silica in the rubber and thousands of sipes are the way to go. Technology (VSC and other computer controls) may be able to compensate to a degree, but it still boils down to pure physics. Last summer I watched a vehicle with traction control sit and spin two tires on wet grass and topsoil, and heard the ABS doing its thing to compensate. Three of us ended up pushing the car onto the gravel.

I've used Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, or Nokia Haakaapellitta R2 and R3 winter tires on all four corners of vehicle since the early 1990s, and studded snow treads before that. The ice-type snow tires go in the direction I point the vehicle, and provide for controlled braking whether I do it, or the ABS does. IMO, a set of these types of tires are low-cost insurance against a collision that at best is costly in terms of vehicle repairs, let alone human body repairs or worse. A few times my ice-type snow tires gave me the ability to steer / accelerate out of the path of a driver who was sliding totally out of control, avoiding an accident.

Some of you might say, "I've run all-seasons since the early 90s and never had problems," and I'm happy for you. That tells me that either a) You don't live where it gets particularly nasty on a regular basis (north of I-80 for example), b) You simply don't drive when it is shitty, or c) You haven't yet wrecked.

Noah
    The Haakapellitta is awesome, Blizzak is great too. I'm using a Continental performance snow tire and it's alright. I might try the Michelin X Ice next, as I have been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Sports for the summer.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "Irregularly"... On that note...

Is it worth spending the money on new tires just on the off chance we get some snow covered roads once or twice this coming winter?

I have always tried to have decent tires on the vehicles heading into winter. In the past, I kept winter and summer tires/wheels to simply swap out at home.

Right now, I have two vehicles with maybe "half tread" left on their tires. Plenty of life left, but not what I want for snow.
    Put new tires on BOTH cars? Not possible. As always, multiple unexpected expenses leave me scratching my head - do I spend money I don't really have to equip ONE vehicle with new tires, or just roll the dice and see if I can get through the winter on the tires as they are?

I always badmouthed people who run tires not suitable for winter driving during the winter, but here I am now... understanding why many of them probably do it. (although I can't completely dismiss "stupidity" either)
    How much will cost with medical bills or dealing with repairs from an accident? It's why I drive the high performance all wheel drive sports sedan with the best tires and brakes I can fit on it. More expensive, yes, but I want every advantage I can get. Pretty much every time I drive down through DC and Baltimore I see at least 3 people trying to kill themselves off on the road and perhaps take some people with them.

I did development work on snow tires and got to see some data, in winter conditions having a proper winter tire is unbeatable when it comes to stopping distance and ability to grip the surface.

I know it's a PITA and an added expense, but... you gotta weigh that up in comparison to other costs.

(Allegheny County)

How much will cost with medical bills or dealing with repairs from an accident? It's why I drive the high performance all wheel drive sports sedan with the best tires and brakes I can fit on it. More expensive, yes, but I want every advantage I can get. Pretty much every time I drive down through DC and Baltimore I see at least 3 people trying to kill themselves off on the road and perhaps take some people with them.

I did development work on snow tires and got to see some data, in winter conditions having a proper winter tire is unbeatable when it comes to stopping distance and ability to grip the surface.

I know it's a PITA and an added expense, but... you gotta weigh that up in comparison to other costs.
    You don't need to explain it to me. I started my post out specifically to show that I already know this.

Knowing I should get good tires does not make money magically appear in my checking account though.

I'll likely try to put tires on the Trailblazer since I'll need to drive it more than either of us will NEED to drive the Santa Fe.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast