Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Guns damaged, some parts vanished while in police custody - advice?

May I offer, based on police experience in executing search warrants, you should have received a copy of the property receipt before the police departed your premises. Assuming you still have it, look to see if the descriptions are accurate and complete, i.e. brand and model of rifle with brand and model of scope. If it is accurate and complete, you have what you need. If the descriptions are incomplete and sloppy, that can work in your favor too.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

I found this story interesting. I thank you for providing information on the 24 hour rule, that I was not aware of.

Knowing now what I do, If this happened to me today, there is no way I would open the door for the police If they demanded I sign for the PFA to prove service, I would go out the back door, lock it, and receive the PFA. I would never let them in the house. If they have no legal right to confiscate guns for 24 hours after serving the order, and they ignore that, break down your door, assault you by pushing you around, smash open your safe, and take the guns, you have a much greater chance of a successful lawsuit and a big payoff.

In the absence of evidence of police force, odds are that in court they would lie and claim you voluntarily handed over the guns. Let's face it, They are willfully violating your civil rights by denying you the opportunity to convey the guns to a 3rd party within the time frame permitted by law.

I am 70, and am middle class. I was always brought up to believe that police were the good guys and deserving of respect. More and more, as I read and see so many cases of arrogant cops engaging in bullying and illegal behavior, I realize wrong I was.

(Luzerne County)

Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for all your replies, I am slowly going through all of them, but it takes time and with plenty of other things going on in my life (mostly good ones... luckily) I cannot always reply right away, but I appreciate all your feedback enormously!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    May I offer, based on police experience in executing search warrants, you should have received a copy of the property receipt before the police departed your premises. Assuming you still have it, look to see if the descriptions are accurate and complete, i.e. brand and model of rifle with brand and model of scope. If it is accurate and complete, you have what you need. If the descriptions are incomplete and sloppy, that can work in your favor too.
    Just to give a perspective of what I got that day - here is the scan of the last sheet. It basically listed everything seized in a format "Firearm model - (maybe caliber, but not for all) - Serial #". No accessories, no condition, nothing else.
    Screenshot_FAReceipt.jpg

A few days later I got the following printout:

Screenshot_FAReceipt2.jpg
    Screenshot_FAReceipt3.jpg
    Screenshot_FAReceipt4.jpg

Basically, this one doesn't even have a field or other place to list accessories or any other details by design.
    I have no idea if there is any other internal documentation with more details, but honestly I doubt so.

(Bucks County)

There are avenues you could pursue. For example, the chief answers to the town manager. The DA might take an interest in the possibility of dishonest cops in the county, and/or in an evidence vault lacking integrity which could affect present and past criminal matters. What you have described needs far more adjustment than personal recovery via small claims.
    Last edited by Bang; November 8th, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

The fact of the matter is, the cops have stolen your shit. To add insult to injury, the chief is treating you like a fool and blowing you off.
    Even a police chief from Bumfuck knows that missing evidence is a huge problem for him if he wants to stay a chief and stay out of jail.

Of course you can do what you want, but I'd go after his ass like white on rice in a snowstorm on a paper plate.
    I have a feeling he knows it, too. Next time he blows smoke up your ass, try telling him you're going to the ag and see what happens.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123