Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Symptoms of Short Stroking in a Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Stuff that's worked for me:
    1. Emory cloth to just smooth out the chamber
    2. Use ALG purple lube. It's a good weight for semi-auto shotguns.
    3. If buckshot isn't cycling, try slugs. Note if the gun requires a change in gas settings for different types of loads (although using slugs and buck should over gas the gun, if on the wrong setting)
    4. Doubt you are doing this, but don't leave shells in the mag, too long. Detrimental to the springs, regardless of mag type.
    5. Aftermarket followers can really help

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Stuff that's worked for me:
    1. Emory cloth to just smooth out the chamber
    2. Use ALG purple lube. It's a good weight for semi-auto shotguns.
    3. If buckshot isn't cycling, try slugs. Note if the gun requires a change in gas settings for different types of loads (although using slugs and buck should over gas the gun, if on the wrong setting)
    4. Doubt you are doing this, but don't leave shells in the mag, too long. Detrimental to the springs, regardless of mag type.
    5. Aftermarket followers can really help
    1. Gun's brand new and there are no failures to extract.
    2. I use Clenzoil. It's very good and doesn't attract debris. I generally try not to over-lube guns, but I may take it apart again and put a heavier coating of lube on the action parts.
    3. The gun comes with two pistons. The one for full power loads is installed.
    4. I haven't had it long enough for the magazine spring to take a set. I never trust an out of the box gun for self-defense, so it was never loaded with live rounds until I hit the range.
    5. It's got the aftermarket follower in it that came with the extension.

This Sunday after work, I'll probably put a box or two of Estate 00 through it with the OEM magazine cap installed to see what happens over time.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I assume you mean the "recoil spring". I'm reluctant to modify that until I know of a source for a replacement, and at this point I don't know of any source for parts for this gun. Perhaps the spring from one of the similar Turkish guns is interchangeable.

BTW, the bolt release button is EXCEPTIONALLY stiff. You actually have to pull the bolt back to activate it. Is that a sign of a too heavy spring?
    Could be, too much pressure on the release button due to the stiff spring.
    Call or email https://www.gunsprings.com/ they probably have what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    1. Gun's brand new and there are no failures to extract.
    2. I use Clenzoil. It's very good and doesn't attract debris. I generally try not to over-lube guns, but I may take it apart again and put a heavier coating of lube on the action parts.
    3. The gun comes with two pistons. The one for full power loads is installed.
    4. I haven't had it long enough for the magazine spring to take a set. I never trust an out of the box gun for self-defense, so it was never loaded with live rounds until I hit the range.
    5. It's got the aftermarket follower in it that came with the extension.

This Sunday after work, I'll probably put a box or two of Estate 00 through it with the OEM magazine cap installed to see what happens over time.
    As for emory cloth on the chamber, I did this on a new gun. If there's any resistance from the shell hanging up in the chamber, it may slow down extraction enough to matter.

The ALG is between an oil and a grease. I had grease too heavy, slow down the gun and adversely affect reliability. I've had oils too light, cook off and not maintain lubrication. If Clenzoil is "sticky" or cooks off in 50 rounds, it maybe too heavy, or too light. I don't know the product.

Try the light piston, not with buckshot or slugs, but with a load on the "heavier" side. Maybe #4's or #6's, and at least maybe high brass. The full power piston may be over designed.

If the gun is chambered for 3", try some with the heavy piston.

The list I gave was mostly comprised what I did to get a 930 running reliably with light loads, and used it in 3gun. Which is not necessarily an easy feat, according to "the internet".

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Try the light piston, not with buckshot or slugs, but with a load on the "heavier" side. Maybe #4's or #6's, and at least maybe high brass. The full power piston may be over designed.
    The range where I shoot ONLY allows buck (and maybe slugs). They don't allow anything else, claiming that they bounce back. Probably an issue with the backstop design.

[QUOTE=chauncey;4531315]If the gun is chambered for 3", try some with the heavy piston.[/list]
    That's a possibility... assuming I can find any.

I'm going to run at least fifty rounds of Estate 00 through it, with the stock magazine cap and spring Sunday and see what happens.

I still have to get the busted rail screw out of the receiver. My second set of screw extractors comes tomorrow.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12