Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Uzi Re-Weld, Another Fun Build

The Uzi submachine gun is so iconic. They just look cool. More Uzi's were produced than any other SMG in history. Born in Israel in the late 1940s, they've traveled all over the world, finding adoption even with the US Secret Service from the 60s to 90s. I trace my interest in them to the action movies of the 80s and 90s. Scarface, Terminator, Commando, Lethal Weapon, Robocop, Patriot Games, Falling Down... the list goes on and on.

Last winter, Numrich/Gun Parts Corp had a sale on IMI Uzi demilled parts kits so I decided to grab one and build a semi auto SBR. This was good timing, as parts kits are drying up, importing is getting more difficult, and semi auto conversion parts are becoming impossible to find.

The kit arrived looking like this:

I purchased an 80% receiver section from RTG, with the semi auto denial bar already welded in.

I cleaned up the parts to be re-used from the cut receiver and picked up other parts from vendors like Apex, BWE, and US Barrel Shrouds for the re-weld, 922R compliance, and semi auto conversion.

I was planning on modifying the original bolt for semi, but I got an in stock notification from Apex for stripped semi bolts and snagged one as fast as the internet would let me. This was something of a miracle. I later found out they discovered a handful of semi bolts in one of their warehouses and they sold out in minutes once listed. No more are expected to be sourced. I was hunting individual striker assembly parts, having no luck, and collecting dimensions to machine them. I started down that path and then once again, I found a striker assembly in stock and grabbed one before they sold out in short order.

I made the required semi mods to the grip frame and trigger, welding in the selector blocking piece. The top cover latch machanism was removed. I got to the point shown below and filed my electronic Form 1 for the SBR tax stamp back in April of this year. Last Friday I got the approval, about 5 and a half months later.

It took a lot of patience to get the barrel chamber lined up with the bolt and feed ramp. I thought I had it tacked right and finished welding. This was about the 4th attempt. The barrel kept moving as I welded the two receiver pieces together. You can buy or 3D print a jig, but in the interest of cost savings I was just lining it up by eye and the fitment of internals.

Well, I was off. Firing pin was striking high on the primer, because the barrel tilted down while welding.

I cut it apart again, and after a few more attempts, some more patience, and a little different TIG welding technique, I finally got it right.

Here it is almost ready for paint.

After another test fire to confirm function, I gave the receiver my standard black rattle can treatment. One day I will get into parkerizing, but Rustoleum is really impressing me lately.

CDS Arms in Trafford, PA did the laser engraving work. We worked together on creating laser friendly files from image files of the original markings. It turned out great. My NFA engraving is on the bottom of the receiver, visible through the folded stock when it is closed.

I got the sling from our very own "Nancy in PA", doing my part to chip away at his infamous for sale posts!

I have a longer barrel nut in the mail to properly protect the muzzle threads.

Tonight I will put it to paper to adjust the sights and dump a few mags.

The trigger is pretty lame, and overall the gun is clunky and heavy. It's way more about looking at it and posing in the mirror than shooting it.

What did it cost?

Uzi demilled parts kit $225
    80% receiver repair section $77
    10" Barrel $125
    Semi bolt $222
    Semi parts $163
    Misc parts $125

Total $937 (plus tax stamp)

If you look at current Uzi part kit prices, you will see they are now $500+, but you can save money by machining your original bolt, etc.

Compared to current semi auto Uzi's selling for $1700+ on gunbroker right now, it saves money to build this blaster.

Next on the bench to build is the Singapore SAR-80. I have other projects in the works, but most will be waiting on SBR tax stamps I haven't filed yet, so they will be 2022 projects.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Default Re: Uzi Re-Weld, Another Fun Build

Looks pretty good. It has no tactical function, but then, neither do I.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

I don't know why but I think the Uzis are sexy.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't know why but I think the Uzis are sexy.
    No doubt. It*s a rarity to see someone grimace at the sight of an Uzi.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Tioga County)

Very nice job, the Rustoleum finish looks pretty good really. If it wears too much you can strip everything off and rattle can it again.

Yes parts seem to be headed the way of vaporware for Uzis, especially if you wanted to do semi auto builds. Not gone yet but supplies are tightening up.

I should probably pick up some spare parts for my Vector Uzi pistol while I can.

I bought my Vector Uzi for $700 and last I looked at Gunbroker they were like $2000, I was like, wow, damn.

(Bucks County)

Look into VHT engine paint. (Auto store rattle can). It must be cured at 200 degrees for about a half hour. It won't cure air-drying. That UZI will easily fit into an oven. VHT is pretty tough stuff.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Look into VHT engine paint. (Auto store rattle can). It must be cured at 200 degrees for about a half hour. It won't cure air-drying. That UZI will easily fit into an oven. VHT is pretty tough stuff.
    I have cans of the Brownell*s alumnahide 2 enamel paint that you bake, but I just can*t justify it when the Rustoleum is doing the job and it dries in 8 minutes.

(Allegheny County)

Did you shoot it from the hip 80s movie action star style?

(Washington County)

You bet your mullet I will.

(Bucks County)

nice !
    I'd love to find an old Philly one somewhere Screenshot_20211016-233235_YouTube.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast