Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Ruger 10/22 or Savage 64F

I need a simple .22 to teach my kids on

I know all the upsides of the Ruger 10/22 (and have shot them and like them) but the Savage 64F is half the price

Is the 64F a bad option?

Keep in mind the intended purpose here is teaching my kids the fundamentals of marksmanship, not training them for the Olympics

Also just to have a rifle I can afford to shoot regularly myself and enjoy while doing it
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 or Savage 64F

💡

For semiautomatic 10/22 you have somany options with them to fit any shooter or shooting style. I hate those cricket rifles the extra step of cocking the bolt can be hard for some. I still like my old marlin 25n for bolt action plinking

(Northumberland County)

Guess my question would be why a semi for teaching kids to shoot? Not to say that you can't teach with one, but a manually operated rifle forces a bit more discipline in my mind....no chance of rattling off a whole mag in 3 seconds. Even as an adult, I'm tempted to shoot faster and usually with less attention to accuracy when using a semi.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Guess my question would be why a semi for teaching kids to shoot? Not to say that you can't teach with one, but a manually operated rifle forces a bit more discipline in my mind....no chance of rattling off a whole mag in 3 seconds. Even as an adult, I'm tempted to shoot faster and usually with less attention to accuracy when using a semi.
    Fair question. And I considered a bolt action at first. But....

First off I want something more versatile that I will enjoy for myself as well. That means semi auto as sometimes measuring how tight my rapid fire groups are is what I'm in the mood for. If I want to do prescision shooting on any given day I have other options for that.

Second, you can make a semi auto into a single shot rifle easily. (Just load 1 round). You can't make a bolt action into a semi auto.

(Northumberland County)

Makes sense. In that regard, no the Savage isnt bad. There is some aftermarket support, just nowhere near as much as the Ruger sees. So kinda comes down to whether you intend to keep stock or not.

(York County)

Makes sense. In that regard, no the Savage isnt bad. There is some aftermarket support, just nowhere near as much as the Ruger sees. So kinda comes down to whether you intend to keep stock or not.
    Yeah the aftermarket support was the glowing advantage to the Ruger that I saw

A scope is likely the only thing I'd ever add to such a rifle. (If that. I believe in teaching with irons.)

I have heard the Savage 64F comes with a problematic magazine but that is resolved with a replacement mag for like $10

(Lehigh County)

There is a single round mag available for the 10-22 that can be used for training purposes...

https://shopruger.com/22-LR-1-Round-...uctinfo/90344/
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(York County)

The 64F is $130 minus a military discount at Bass Pro

I just can't pass that up. The $140 savings over the 10/22 will feed .22lr ammo into the Savage for a good while (Or let me get like 12 rounds for any other gun I own)