Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Precision rifle info requested

It’s been a while since I was interested in shooting precision rifle. Getting the itch again. I no longer have my bolt guns, do have an AR that was headed in that direction from a few years ago. For those who are up to speed with precision AR’s what’s some recommendations on builds? Also, if I was to look into bolt guns again, what should I be on the watch for? I had started with a Savage and moved into a Rem 700 some time ago.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Precision rifle info requested

On the bolt front, Ruger RPR gets a lot of fanfare and rightfully so from all i hear. I have the Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5CM and its ridiculously accurate for <$1000 and off the shelf. The caliber helps, but 1" groups at 200 yards.

Savage has the Precision series, also very good.

Remington I haven't kept up with in a while, but the old Sendero and Police type Rem 700 offerings used to be good.

(Northumberland County)

2 other thoughts. Bergara...forgot about them, but hear great things.

And Ky Gun Co has a sale running on a lot of 6.5CM offerings right now, if the caliber was of interest. Bergara, Savage, some others. $300 stuff all the way to more premium stuff. Free shipping. Links to 2 of them in the deals thread.

I have a savage 110 precision in .338 lapua and honestly, the chassis is fantastic. Extremely comfortable. Bolt and barrel are also very nice. Beautiful gun all around, I have no complaints. I have smacked 6" steel at 500 yards without breaking a sweat. It was between that and the RPR and price came into play in a big way. It was my first nice long range gun, and it was just over half the price of the RPR. I'd heard a lot of good things about it so I thought, what's the worst that can happen. Save a grand to put towards glass. Don't regret it at all.