Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default New Fall Turkey Regulations

No rifles for fall turkey? Pisses me off. Typical Game Commission "Follow the money" move. I got an email from the GC saying the turkey population was down so no rifle hunting. About two weeks later I was reading an interview in the paper (A GC Biologist) and apparently there is plenty of turkeys. Maybe they should ease back on the spring turkey kill? Oh no, can't disrupt that, too many guys go spring turkey hunting.

Default Re: New Fall Turkey Regulations

Spring Turkey is gobblers only.
    Removing gobblers from the population has little impact on the population.
    Remaining gobblers will gladly breed the hens that are not on a nest

Fall turkey is any bird.
    Harvesting a hen in the fall eliminates that bird plus any birds that hen would have hatched in the coming spring.

see turkey almost every day. usually down the corner where a lady feeds them. was working on the deck, it's about 18' off the yard yesterday, counted 6 long beards, about noon. i can almost time them past the house. should go down the coldersac.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    Spring Turkey is gobblers only.
    Removing gobblers from the population has little impact on the population.
    Remaining gobblers will gladly breed the hens that are not on a nest

Fall turkey is any bird.
    Harvesting a hen in the fall eliminates that bird plus any birds that hen would have hatched in the coming spring.
    That is nonsense you heard on the internet. Fall turkey is still "Any bird", but with a shotgun. It is true(Even thought the GC can't make up their mind) that turkey populations ARE down in a lot of areas, but it sure the hell is not from rifle hunting. Most rifle guys pick out a gobbler anyway. I used to live in Lehigh County and 20 years ago on a rainy day you could see flocks of over a hundred on the sides of hills in the winter wheat. That is not an exaggeration. Now you are lucky to see twenty in a flock.

(Chester County)

I try to track PA's turkey population and what effects it. Avian flu decimated the Ruffed Grouse population about two years ago and also reduced the turkey numbers somewhat. Flock recruitment, or poult survival, has to have been poor for the last two years, due to cold and wet weather in late Spring. Everybody and their brother has been out turkey hunting regularly, due to Covid, I see the evidence, every where I go to hunt the birds.

I generally hunt Carbon Co. and Sullivan Co., where I have historically experienced good turkey hunting and these last two years have been scarce. Not much sign, not much gobbling, no harvest opportunities.

You are a management tool, one of many, the PGC uses to manage wildlife. Think of yourself as the claw hammer in the tool box. By limiting the hunter*s equipment/method, PGC can increase the turkey population and at the same time you can continue to hunt; you will just have to be a bit stealthier. PGC could have used the sledge hammer and closed fall turkey all together.

(Carbon County)

[QUOTE=X Hunter;4527219]You are a management tool, one of many, the PGC uses to manage wildlife. Think of yourself as the claw hammer in the tool box. By limiting the hunter*s equipment/method, PGC can increase the turkey population and at the same time you can continue to hunt; you will just have to be a bit stealthier. PGC could have used the sledge hammer and closed fall turkey all together.[/QUOT

You are a mismanagement tool in the Game Commissions hands. They are still beating a dead pheasant 40 years after they are gone and losing money on it. I remember when they stocked fishers. How stupid can you get? The turkey federation went nuts. Other states to the north of PA had tried that with really bad results. You can't manage a whole state and get even results across the board. You know the saying, "PA deer hunting will make a turkey hunter out of you". Maybe not.

[QUOTE=Gunplummer;4528672]
    Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    You are a management tool, one of many, the PGC uses to manage wildlife. Think of yourself as the claw hammer in the tool box. By limiting the hunter*s equipment/method, PGC can increase the turkey population and at the same time you can continue to hunt; you will just have to be a bit stealthier. PGC could have used the sledge hammer and closed fall turkey all together.[/QUOT

You are a mismanagement tool in the Game Commissions hands. They are still beating a dead pheasant 40 years after they are gone and losing money on it. I remember when they stocked fishers. How stupid can you get? The turkey federation went nuts. Other states to the north of PA had tried that with really bad results. You can't manage a whole state and get even results across the board. You know the saying, "PA deer hunting will make a turkey hunter out of you". Maybe not.
    And there is the fisher argument...Surprised it took till the 7th post.