Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a turkey gun

Won't have something in time for this season, but hopefully by spring

Almost bout a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge with a field (28 in) barrel and then would have grabbed a turkey choke. Nothing wrong with the Maverick, it just didn't speak to me. I know a hunting gun (and all guns) are tools, but I just didn't have a connection to it

Looking at the Savage Stevens 301 single shot. Going back and forth on 12 or 20 gauge. I actually really like the Stevens and kinda really want a single shot for turkey

But now I kinda want to find something nicer than a $200 gun

Never really been into shotguns so I don't really know what's out there much, both new and older models no longer made

Anyone know of any older single shot 12/20 gauge with interchangeable chokes I can look for

I really want something I have a connection to, and something I can pass down in to my kids in about 20 to 25 years

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Looking for a turkey gun

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Won't have something in time for this season, but hopefully by spring

Almost bout a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge with a field (28 in) barrel and then would have grabbed a turkey choke. Nothing wrong with the Maverick, it just didn't speak to me. I know a hunting gun (and all guns) are tools, but I just didn't have a connection to it

Looking at the Savage Stevens 301 single shot. Going back and forth on 12 or 20 gauge. I actually really like the Stevens and kinda really want a single shot for turkey

But now I kinda want to find something nicer than a $200 gun

Never really been into shotguns so I don't really know what's out there much, both new and older models no longer made

Anyone know of any older single shot 12/20 gauge with interchangeable chokes I can look for

I really want something I have a connection to, and something I can pass down in to my kids in about 20 to 25 years
    I don't know if anyone makes a single with interchangeable chokes anymore. I have an H&R single shot turkey gun in a 10 Guage, they came in 12 also though. I also have an 835 Mossberg in 12 with the 3 1/2" chamber and extra full choke. Both are great for turkey guns, if you're looking to extend your range. To be truthful, if you find an 12 Guage you like it will work with a decent turkey load. The extra full chokes and larger shells just help to get you out further. I started with a 20guage single H&R and it patterned fine at 35-40yds. Next was a Mossberg 500 with a full choke and it would pattern well at the same distance. The difference was the amount of pellets would let you get to maybe 50yds. This is the only gun I ever got a turkey with. Both I shot with it were around 30 yds and both were dispatched quickly with a 3" #4 load.

Now patterning the big boys, the 3 1/2" 12 will hold a pattern out to 70yds with a #5 load. It's a beast and recoils like one. Not fun to shoot more than a couple times. The 10 I've never patterned, but it would probably be just as good at longer distance. I bought it mainly as a toy, since I always wanted a 10. It also is pretty stout on recoil.

All that said, point being, you don't have to over think it. Find a shotgun you really like and it will work. Practice your calling and scout out and it will mean more for hunting then wich shotgun you use. Get a couple loads and pattern them and you'll know your range. Personally I would go with the 12 over the 20. It's just way more versatile and has way more options on loads.

(Lycoming County)

I was looking around quick and it seems Henry makes a single that uses the rem chokes. TriStar might also make one, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I don't know if they're still being imported.

I think I am gong to go with the Stevens.

It uses Savage interchangeable chokes.

I would love the Henry, but it's just not it the budget. Maybe in a few years if the still make it (or I can grab a used one) and I have really been into Turkey hunting I'll get one

(Lycoming County)

I think I am gong to go with the Stevens.

It uses Savage interchangeable chokes.

I would love the Henry, but it's just not it the budget. Maybe in a few years if the still make it (or I can grab a used one) and I have really been into Turkey hunting I'll get one
    Sounds good, I didn't know what if any chokes they used.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Sounds good, I didn't know what if any chokes they used.
    Extra full choke included (Win. Choke pattern ½ 32UN)

(Chester County)

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Basically the one I am going with

Sportsmans outdoor superstore has the bottomland version, with red dot, in stock and on sale, for a good price

I don't know the rules about linking to a direct page

(Chester County)

[QUOTE=tallbump;4528238]Basically the one I am going with

Sportsmans outdoor superstore has the bottomland version, with red dot, in stock and on sale, for a good price

I don't know the rules about linking to a direct page[/QUOTE]

That's not a problem on this forum.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

[QUOTE=JenniferG;4528527]
    Basically the one I am going with

I don't know the rules about linking to a direct page[/QUOTE]

That's not a problem on this forum.
    Awesome

Here's the link

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/247209

savage.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast