Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: How to know it's time to sell your guns

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I am also not looking forward to dealing with people. I assume they want to see and handle the gun. How do you do that? Invite a stranger into your home? Meet them at 7-11? The last and only time I sold a gun was as a consignment. That had it's own issues. It took forever and not sure I got a good deal.
    The other option is consignment or auction. I know not everyone is a fan of that route, but I've done well with both. Find a place with a low consignment rate (place I go is 10%...Richland Shooters). Auction is a gamble but big gun sales usually go over what you'd paying a shop. Just had 4 guns at Shirks in Annville go for 40-50% over what I could've gotten privately...even after paying their 15% fee, I'm well ahead of private sale (with less run around too). It'd be a drive for you but Shirks next sale should be in January or February, and usually gets at least 100 guns...often closer to 200.

(Chester County)

Setting aside where and how to sell for the moment, I have another question. I understand if one is selling due to age and the understanding that it's time to wind some things down. Especially if there are no family members who have an interest in inheriting. But for others who maybe just look at unused guns and think maybe its time to move them along - what are you going to do with the money?

If you need the money for living expenses, or the purchase of something else that you want more, that makes sense. But if you don't have an immediate use for the money, what will you do with it? Put it in the bank and make 0.01% on it? Invest it in stocks? Hide it under your mattress in case SHTF? What you plan on doing with the money is worth some thought. If you have no immediate plans for it, letting it sit in firearms might make more sense, as I don't think guns are going to get less expensive with time. In fact, guns have been an excellent investment over time. Worth thinking about.

(Bucks County)

When you reach room temperature.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    When you reach room temperature.
    What if you're already in a room that's 98.6F?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I wonder what I could get for my Colt Ace .22 ? I know it depends wildly on year of manufacturer.

It's in good, but not perfect shape. Plus it has an extra mag or two (:

Has dad's SSN engraved on it under the grip - that's gotta be worth at least an extra $500, right? On that note...I wonder if it would be better to leave the SSN on the way that it is, or dremel it off before selling it.

Sadly, it is currently disassembled because I couldn't figure out how to assemble it properly when I disassembled it for cleaning. That's gonna subtract some value.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Setting aside where and how to sell for the moment, I have another question. I understand if one is selling due to age and the understanding that it's time to wind some things down. Especially if there are no family members who have an interest in inheriting. But for others who maybe just look at unused guns and think maybe its time to move them along - what are you going to do with the money?

If you need the money for living expenses, or the purchase of something else that you want more, that makes sense. But if you don't have an immediate use for the money, what will you do with it? Put it in the bank and make 0.01% on it? Invest it in stocks? Hide it under your mattress in case SHTF? What you plan on doing with the money is worth some thought. If you have no immediate plans for it, letting it sit in firearms might make more sense, as I don't think guns are going to get less expensive with time. In fact, guns have been an excellent investment over time. Worth thinking about.
    My plans are ammo for the remaining calibers, and carbine training.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What if you're already in a room that's 98.6F?
    If that was the case for me, it would mean the same thing.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I've been thinking about it for some time. I have amassed a dozen firearms over the years. I would still buy more if I could. Problem is I hardly shoot them. There are times that I do not go to the range even once in a whole year. It's gotten so bad that I actually forget how to work my handguns. Is it single or double? It' embarrassing. There is no interest in the family to pick up the tradition either. So, as much as I hate saying it, I need to get rid of them one by one. I probably keep one handgun and my beloved double. Even that's too many. Next: how to sell? That's whole 'nother question.
    Tough question!
    I went thru a similar paring down the safe a few years ago. And about to do it again.

It is actually a relief in some ways for me personally. I have bought, sold and traded many firearms over the years. And with almost no regrets. Sometimes I sold to raise funds for another. Or another project or even when I was laid off.

My buying habits are different and so are my needs and desires. At one time I remember wanting a bunch of guns, different calibers, different niche uses, etc…blah, blah, blah. It becomes somewhat of an addiction. Same as keeping them, becomes addictive.

Selling them is easier than you’d think. Especially with sites like this. Take pictures, be honest in description and treat people the way you would like to be treated. I like to get and give a good fair deal. Try not to ask too much, and don’t give them away. You may even get some enjoyment out of making the deals.

All the best!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post

Given the state of things, I could easily foresee a scenario where the value of guns shoots up sharply in the near/mid-future...
    DGAF

(Franklin County)

I'm impulsive and impatient so I hardly ever do well selling or buying things, that's the main reason I don't sell more, I hate taking the loss that I'll probably take by selling stuff.
    As far as guns specifically, I don't collect or hunt, guns are defensive tools, if it doesn't have a specific purpose, it's gone and replaced with something that has a purpose (either real or imagined). That said, I do have a couple of guns I've held on to over the years just because I've inherited them. I mainly keep them around because Uncle Sam or the Commonwealth don't know I have them.
    The Hostler

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast