Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Steel Challenge Rimfire Pistol Advice

My 14 year old daughter wants to compete at an upcoming steel challenge (rimfire). She already has an SR22 but I want to buy a good competition 22lr that she can use long-term. We are choosing between the Mark IV 22/45 (5.50” barrel; 34.4 oz) and the Mark IV 22/45 Lite (4.40” barrel; 25 oz). The former has a longer barrel but is heavier, whereas the latter has a shorter barrel but is much lighter. For teenage shooters in her age group, would anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks.
    Philippians 4:13

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Steel Challenge Rimfire Pistol Advice

Any ranges near you where you could let her try both?

If she can handle the extra weight the heavier gun will be easier to shoot well.

We used to play some gun games and my best results came from the heavier pistols. The weight will make it settle and track better.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Delaware County)

Steel Challenge is drag racing. It doesn*t require mag changes, so heel clip vs. frame button doesn*t mean much. Longer heavier barrel won*t rise as much in recoil. Shorter lighter barrel will have faster transitions. It*s all a trade off. A compensated 4 inch barrel might be ideal. Standard velocity vs high velocity ammunition would help too.

Just buy whatever she likes best. I would look at how good the trigger is and the sights. Also maybe checkout a Browning Buckmark. I was going to buy a Ruger until I picked up a Buckmark at the gun shop. Trigger is awesome and the grip fit me a lot better. I shot steel challenge once using my Glock 34 and beat a lot of people shooting 22's. The gun doesn't matter that much as long as it's reliable and relatively accurate. A heavy gun is not always better either. Less recoil but the weight makes transitions harder. Steel challenge is all about target transitions. The targets are big so accuracy is not that important. For sight setup, I would get something with a wide rear notch and a thinner front sight with a fiber optic. That also makes transitions easier.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

as a 6-year competitor in Steel Challenge I recommend: whatever fits her best. I know that seems like a cop-out, but it's true. There are a bunch of great rimfire pistols out there, but if something is too heavy or doesn't fit her hand then it's best to look at something else.

I will state that for SC fast transitions are the key, you want less weight out front to help with those swings. There are some good options out there at all different price points. The Mk IV Lite is going to be one of the better ones in terms of reliability and upgradability.

I am personally competing with a pair of S&W Victories, but they are heavy right out of the box. Most of the kids I see out there are shooting the Ruger Lite models. Tandemkross makes some great upgrades for it as well. Same company also sells their own version with their lower and all race parts, but I'm guessing $1200 is a little much to spend just to get started.

As a practical example of "out front weight", I shoot PCCI with a Ruger PC Carbine. This thing is HEAVY! I sent the barrel out to Wiland USA and they cut it and shrouded it. Took about a pound off, but it was all out front. The gun is still heavy, but it's all in the receiver now which is more centered on the body. Since having the weight removed from the front I have had faster transitions with this gun and got my first, ever, Grand Master classification.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    as a 6-year competitor in Steel Challenge I recommend: whatever fits her best. I know that seems like a cop-out, but it's true. There are a bunch of great rimfire pistols out there, but if something is too heavy or doesn't fit her hand then it's best to look at something else.

I will state that for SC fast transitions are the key, you want less weight out front to help with those swings. There are some good options out there at all different price points. The Mk IV Lite is going to be one of the better ones in terms of reliability and upgradability.

I am personally competing with a pair of S&W Victories, but they are heavy right out of the box. Most of the kids I see out there are shooting the Ruger Lite models. Tandemkross makes some great upgrades for it as well. Same company also sells their own version with their lower and all race parts, but I'm guessing $1200 is a little much to spend just to get started.

As a practical example of "out front weight", I shoot PCCI with a Ruger PC Carbine. This thing is HEAVY! I sent the barrel out to Wiland USA and they cut it and shrouded it. Took about a pound off, but it was all out front. The gun is still heavy, but it's all in the receiver now which is more centered on the body. Since having the weight removed from the front I have had faster transitions with this gun and got my first, ever, Grand Master classification.
    Thank you for the great advice! She currently shoots a Ruger SR22 and shoots it well. In your opinion, would using the SR22 be adequate? It’s light, pretty accurate, and fits her hand well. I want her to have fun but want to make sure she has the right equipment.
    Philippians 4:13