Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: How to know it's time to sell your guns

I set clay birds on edge on the berms (earthen backstops) at the two ranges at which I belong. I'll break them, then break the bits. If conditions are dry, I'll pick out a dark spot or a small rock in a berm and watch for dust puffs.

Which reminds me, I was at one range shooting at spots in the 100 yd berm and the then club president said, "You can't do that! It's unsafe! You must shoot at a paper target!" So I asked him, "So where do the bullets go after they go through the paper?" I kept shooting.

Noah

(Chester County)

I'm not sure when I'll know it's time to sell, however, I know I'm getting closer because a member near me has one of my two grail guns for sale in the classifieds and after deep reflection, I know that all I'll do is "have" it if I were to buy it. It fills no hole in my collection and is in no way superior to guns I already own, other than the fact that it is the model that was my first pistol purchase ever.

Well, if I really need the money I would sell some of my higher-end guns. Or maybe if there was something out there I really desired and needed extra funds. Otherwise, I would not get rid of them just yet. Still waiting to see how this whole shit show ends ����

(Allegheny County)

I agree with the above poster's comments about shooting at paper. Although I would not want someone shooting at bottles (duh)...and golf balls doesn't seem like a great idea. But shooting at cans is what we did as a kid. A small child can get instant gratification at seeing that can fall over. Not so much with a paper target.

(Berks County)

When you have bills to pay and you're out of money.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    But shooting at cans is what we did as a kid. A small child can get instant gratification at seeing that can fall over.
    and big kids too.

(Bucks County)

And just what else are you supposed to do with all of those empty beer cans*

I always enjoyed milk jugs of water the most. As mentioned the target clays as well.

I think that most places don*t allow this due to slobs not cleaning up after themselves. That and the really high number of ambulance chasing attorneys that would be more than happy to sue for some type of fragments flying causes of some sort of ptsd.

I used to rent a place up in the poconos ( I need to find another one, so if you know of little cottage type rentals, please get the info to me!) and we*d spend many a hours plinking with .22 and anything else we had lots of ammo for. Sure do miss it.

(Lehigh County)

I am at this point right now. I have 3 classified ads going but no interest. Just want to sell to use the cash for other toys I am in NEED of. lol

I consistently thin the heard. I like shooting new and imteresting things. I get bored with them, i trade or sell and buy/build something else (modern day horse trading). I keep the stuff that is utilitarian and i can shoot well and stay sharp with. Common calibers.

I also consider the stuff more as investments/savings. Its one thing that you are guaranteed to get most of, if not all, your money back out of.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Its one thing that you are guaranteed to get most of, if not all, your money back out of.
    Shit. I'm absolutely positive I will lose money on anything I have to sell, which I actually bought.

Two things I have to sell that I know I will lose money on - in some case, probably substantially.

S&W Bodyguard .380 (I'd have to look at it, but probably near mint)
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm (practically unused, uncarried)

I bet I lose $150 on the first one and at least that on the second one. Then add in the value of inflation over 10 years or so, and then I will REALLY lose money.

That's one thing people leave out too. In the past 10 years, inflation adds up to 20%. So you'd need to "get your money back" PLUS 20%, just to "break even".

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast