Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How to know it's time to sell your guns

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I ammasssed quite a few over the years

cruzans :::

Last edited by JDA58; October 25th, 2021 at 09:55 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I'll second most of this. I've met in store parking lots or at FFL's mostly. I've shipped two, I don't mind as long as the buyer doesn't mind paying the freight. I'll only ship FFL to FFL.

Everyone I've met has been friendly and didn't find any issues with my description. Try to make that as accurate as possible and include good pictures. If there's flaws state that from the get go and show them in the pictures. I've always priced stuff to sell quickly, so I usually get little haggling. I come up with a minimum I'd be willing to take and add a little to it. That gives some wiggle room for people to haggle.
    It seems shipping FFL to FFL is the only way to do it anymore. Fedex has changed their policy, and will no longer ship a firearm from a private party, even if it is going to an FFL.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I've been thinking about it for some time. I have amassed a dozen firearms over the years. I would still buy more if I could. Problem is I hardly shoot them. There are times that I do not go to the range even once in a whole year. It's gotten so bad that I actually forget how to work my handguns. Is it single or double? It' embarrassing. There is no interest in the family to pick up the tradition either. So, as much as I hate saying it, I need to get rid of them one by one. I probably keep one handgun and my beloved double. Even that's too many. Next: how to sell? That's whole 'nother question.
    If your looking for money do it before you go boating.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    It seems shipping FFL to FFL is the only way to do it anymore. Fedex has changed their policy, and will no longer ship a firearm from a private party, even if it is going to an FFL.
    Didn't know that, but I always found that easiest. Price wise it was the same or cheaper to go with the FFL's around here too.

(Dauphin County)

Didn't know that, but I always found that easiest. Price wise it was the same or cheaper to go with the FFL's around here too.
    I never followed through with getting an actual price from Fedex, once I discovered their new policy. Checking rates online, yes, Fedex seemed more expensive. The place I use charges $40, and Fedex seemed like it could be in the $55-65 range, especially for 2nd Day.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Twelve!!! Twelve????
    A dozen?? That's all?????????

I'm too sentimental and most of mine are worthless anyway. They were carried by the likes of my great-grandfather, grandfather, father and uncles. (A grandmother and a few aunts as well).
    They were used and used hard and the scratches and dings represent the needs they endured in the depression and before. I'll hand mine down or let the family ddeal with them at auction if my later generations don't want them. (or don't care for them).
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    What's in it for the FFL? Looks like it's neither a sale for them nor a consignment.

(Lycoming County)

What's in it for the FFL? Looks like it's neither a sale for them nor a consignment.
    Since they can use USPS, it costs way less for them. I'm guessing they make $20-30 off of it.

(Wayne County)

From reading this thread it seems everyone has too many guns but dont want to sell any due to remorse.

I should take a break from buying guns too after my last gun, a Ruger SR1911.

(Allegheny County)

I've been thinking about it for some time. I have amassed a dozen firearms over the years. I would still buy more if I could. Problem is I hardly shoot them. There are times that I do not go to the range even once in a whole year. It's gotten so bad that I actually forget how to work my handguns. Is it single or double? It' embarrassing. There is no interest in the family to pick up the tradition either. So, as much as I hate saying it, I need to get rid of them one by one. I probably keep one handgun and my beloved double. Even that's too many. Next: how to sell? That's whole 'nother question.
    My 77 year old dad recently sold most or all of his shit (if you believe him, which is always a dicey proposition). He asked if I wanted to buy them. I said I don't have the money. So, as he tells it, he found someone in Dayton OH to buy his stuff. Given what he bought afterward, I suspect he cleared at least $10K. I later asked him how much of his stuff he sold, he said "all of it", which is probably not true. At any rate, he drove from Virginia to meet up with the guy. Probably did the deal in a parking lot, because he's that kind of dumbass. Drove home. Long damned drive.

Directly answering your question...I think the answer is when you realize that they are not going to do anything but sit there. In dad's case, he's too told to do much of anything anymore. Getting out of the house is a major chore. I think he should have sold his shit at least 10 years ago, if he wasn't going to give anything to his kids. And if he was, he should have done it a lot earlier too. In any case, I'm glad I don't have to deal with it after he's dead (or at least, not as much stuff). Now I wish he would sell the rest of the crap around his house and get it cleaned up in general, to avoid passing all that work on to me later. If he really sold most or all of his shit, he should also sell off his 3 gun safes, reloading shit, ammo hoard and whatever else he has in his basement shop.

As a side note, I doubt he got a good price for his stuff, selling it in a bulk lot like that, but he did get a lot of money at once (and promptly spent it) and with minimal effort. He has been lazy and dumb for as long as I have known him, so minimal effort is about what he was looking for, despite most likely costing himself thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by free; October 25th, 2021 at 09:22 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast