Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: How to know it's time to sell your guns

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I am also not looking forward to dealing with people. I assume they want to see and handle the gun. How do you do that? Invite a stranger into your home? Meet them at 7-11? The last and only time I sold a gun was as a consignment. That had it's own issues. It took forever and not sure I got a good deal.
    When selling or buying privately, I've always met at a mutually-agreeable FFL. It's a 'safe space' for it, even if it's a long gun for which you don't need a transfer.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I like Walmart parking lots simply for the "FUCK YOU .GOV" of it.
    Long guns, of course.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Many police departments have areas where private exchanges of goods can happen.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I've thought about this and it's pretty simple. When I no longer feel the need to protect myself or my family, or where I think I can no longer do so. My father is getting to that point where he's down to one 12ga shotgun and one 9mm pistol.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    And the guns that I just inherited from dad, they cant be sold for sentimental reasons.
    Yeah, there IS that. Three of mine are inherited.

One a .22 rifle. Cheap old thing, nothing special, and has a bad tendency to jam. But I'd be hard-pressed to part with it, and it's my only .22 so the go-to for varmint shooting. One of these days I'll figure out why it jams up every 3-4 shots (I know it's actually a problem with the mag, but never tried to sort it). Truth is I should probably sell it (or more likely just dump - wouldn't feel good about passing it along) and buy a newer/better cheap .22 rifle 'fer plinking varmints. But nah. Hey, if nothing else, it gives the little rodent bastards a 'sporting chance' when it jams.

Also have a Kimber 1911 Dad left me. Gorgeous thing. Never carry it - way too big & heavy. Rarely shoot it. But probably also not 'on the block' for sentimental / aesthetic reasons.

Finally is the Guerini shotgun he left me. That's nearly more art than gun with the engraving, etc. It's my only shotgun and I do use it for clays. But wouldn't sell it even if I didn't use it.

Am I a bit of a sentimental fool? Yup. Ditto Dad's guitar: an acoustic from the 60's carrying the high-prestige luthier-label of... Sears. It LITERALLY says "Sears, Roebuck & Co." inside. Actually sounds really good and I strongly suspect the actual maker was Yamaha. Looks, sounds and feels exactly like a vintage Yamaha, at least. But I'ma not sell it. He serenaded Mom with it, I played it for my wife, and it's the guitar the boy learned on too - with any luck he'll get a girl singing on it too.

Flip-side of sentiment: I've got 3 AR's, one of which I distinctly don't like - a Mustang. No real 'reason' for it: it's a perfectly good rifle, shoots well, reliable, accurate and solid. I tried fiddling with the buffer, spring, trigger, different stock, etc. to fine-tune it - to no avail. It just doesn't 'feel' as good as the other 2 to me and I don't shoot well with it. For me, my Windham just shoots circles around it. That I've not yet sold it is strictly silly.

At least one of the 4 9mm pistols should probably go too. Just overkill. Probably the M&P 'shield' should go. Bought it as a 'carry' for my wife, who then went and bought/prefers/carries a .380 instead. Shield is, IMHO, a good solid gun. My basic go-to EDC is actually the .45 version with the extended mag. But I have 3 other 9mm I prefer anyway, the H&K first among those.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I've thought about this and it's pretty simple. When I no longer feel the need to protect myself or my family, or where I think I can no longer do so. My father is getting to that point where he's down to one 12ga shotgun and one 9mm pistol.
    #truth. I would NEVER sell a gun where I felt it was part of my 'defensive array'.
    DGAF

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I am also not looking forward to dealing with people. I assume they want to see and handle the gun. How do you do that? Invite a stranger into your home? Meet them at 7-11? The last and only time I sold a gun was as a consignment. That had it's own issues. It took forever and not sure I got a good deal.
    Typically, seeing the gun is not required, although some might want to. Provide decent photos and an honest description, including known flaws, and make sure you have a true understanding of "reaching a deal", not just, "I'll give you $xxx", but a "Yes, I agree to $xxx". You should expect that the buyer will want to inspect the firearm at the FTF meeting, and there is a possibility they will decline to buy based on its condition, especially if not accurately described. I haven't had this happen, though. Make your ad clear as to where you are located, how far you will travel, who will pay transfer fees, whether you will ship or not, whether you will take trades or not, and how you want to be contacted. Also, keep your inbox clear so people can contact you through PM's.

Always check the Feedback forum on the prospective buyer, many only have a few posts, but have been buying and selling for years, and the Feedback forum will help to know if they are honest and straight up, or if there have been issues. Then leave feedback based on how your transaction went, to help others in the future. You can also check their posts, to get an idea of what they are like, if they are not known to you.

There will always be people who don't read the ad fully, and offer trades when you say "No Trades", or who think the PAFOA classifieds are simply a place for them to get real bargains, and will lowball by 25-35%. Just say no. By and large though, on this forum and others, I have had 95% good experiences, as most people are honest and decent.

Never invite someone to your house. Sometimes you have to give an address, depending on the payment method, but if you are meeting for a FTF pistol sale, of course it has to be at an FFL. For a FTF long gun sale, a public parking lot like Walmart, Giant, Cabelas, etc., has always worked for me, just be discreet with handling the firearm and all will be well. I never had an issue. I always ask to see a PA Drivers License as proof of residency, most people will offer to show their LTCF if they have one. Not needed, but it can help to put your mind at ease concerning a prohibited person. Some also like to have a bill of sale, stating XYZ purchased gun ABC on such-and-such a date, for $xxx. etc. . I think there is a generic bill of sale on here somewhere, but I've never used one.

Also, keep a list of inquiries, with dates and times, to avoid issues of "I offered first, but you sold to someone else". As a corollary, always honor your agreements. Once or twice I have had small issues, when I have tried to be too accommodating to someone's request, or when the prospective buyer has asked multiple questions over several days, and someone else has inquired and offered during the same timeframe.

Hope this helps.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

How many rooms in the house? A couple in every room gives them purpose.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

First one to go is my avatar. Do I read it correctly that the used private party sale for a Colt brand 1911 is $1300? That's insane.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Typically, seeing the gun is not required, although some might want to. Provide decent photos and an honest description, including known flaws, and make sure you have a true understanding of "reaching a deal", not just, "I'll give you $xxx", but a "Yes, I agree to $xxx". You should expect that the buyer will want to inspect the firearm at the FTF meeting, and there is a possibility they will decline to buy based on its condition, especially if not accurately described. I haven't had this happen, though. Make your ad clear as to where you are located, how far you will travel, who will pay transfer fees, whether you will ship or not, whether you will take trades or not, and how you want to be contacted. Also, keep your inbox clear so people can contact you through PM's.

Always check the Feedback forum on the prospective buyer, many only have a few posts, but have been buying and selling for years, and the Feedback forum will help to know if they are honest and straight up, or if there have been issues. Then leave feedback based on how your transaction went, to help others in the future. You can also check their posts, to get an idea of what they are like, if they are not known to you.

There will always be people who don't read the ad fully, and offer trades when you say "No Trades", or who think the PAFOA classifieds are simply a place for them to get real bargains, and will lowball by 25-35%. Just say no. By and large though, on this forum and others, I have had 95% good experiences, as most people are honest and decent.

Never invite someone to your house. Sometimes you have to give an address, depending on the payment method, but if you are meeting for a FTF pistol sale, of course it has to be at an FFL. For a FTF long gun sale, a public parking lot like Walmart, Giant, Cabelas, etc., has always worked for me, just be discreet with handling the firearm and all will be well. I never had an issue. I always ask to see a PA Drivers License as proof of residency, most people will offer to show their LTCF if they have one. Not needed, but it can help to put your mind at ease concerning a prohibited person. Some also like to have a bill of sale, stating XYZ purchased gun ABC on such-and-such a date, for $xxx. etc. . I think there is a generic bill of sale on here somewhere, but I've never used one.

Also, keep a list of inquiries, with dates and times, to avoid issues of "I offered first, but you sold to someone else". As a corollary, always honor your agreements. Once or twice I have had small issues, when I have tried to be too accommodating to someone's request, or when the prospective buyer has asked multiple questions over several days, and someone else has inquired and offered during the same timeframe.

Hope this helps.
    I'll second most of this. I've met in store parking lots or at FFL's mostly. I've shipped two, I don't mind as long as the buyer doesn't mind paying the freight. I'll only ship FFL to FFL.

Everyone I've met has been friendly and didn't find any issues with my description. Try to make that as accurate as possible and include good pictures. If there's flaws state that from the get go and show them in the pictures. I've always priced stuff to sell quickly, so I usually get little haggling. I come up with a minimum I'd be willing to take and add a little to it. That gives some wiggle room for people to haggle.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast