Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Beretta Bobcat Dimples?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...e-dimples.html

Some say hardness testing, other research says it could denote what line the firearm was manufactured on.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm waiting to hear back from Beretta USA. Don't worry. I'm not holding my breath. A friend of mine has one that also has the three dimples. Buffalo's Outdoors on YouTube has one that only has two.

As for functionality, so far I've only tested two loads. Remington Subsonic has only enough power to eject the spent case and cock the hammer. But it does not feed. No surprise there. CCI Mini Mag (40gr) seems to run flawlessly. I plan to test other ammunition. It's a pretty neat pistol. Mind you, it is not really that much smaller than a Sig Sauer P238 in 380 ACP. I imagine the Ruger LCP II 22LR Light Rack is superior by the numbers, but not in cool points.

Edit to add: I purchased it new. Fit and finish is excellent. The dimples are clearly intentional. I just can't figure out what they are for. They seem to have no function.

(Bucks County)

Some won't buy it because it has no extractor. Others do buy it because the slide doesn't have to be racked to chamber the first round. Failure to fire and failure to eject might get interesting. Releasing the sprung barrel will sling a chambered unfired round. Spent cartridge stuck due to coking might not. The secured barrel adds to its accuracy. When bought for my wife (back in the 80s) the safety was gorilla rated. I lightened it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

I can understand not wanting one due to the lack of an extractor. It also has this habit of launching spent cases in the direction of the shooter's face! Malfunction drills do have to be altered. If a round tries to feed into a spent casing, that could get nasty. A nose popping up or a nose dive is not really much worse than any other semi-auto with no slide lock. The slide is easy enough to rack when the hammer is cocked. If you get a failure to fire, the DA pull gives you another chance to light off the round before popping the barrel open.

It's an interesting creature to be sure. The real challenge to me has been with the sights. I plan to paint them. This is probably not the best pistol for a blind man.

(Cumberland County)

Was at my shop today and he had a Beretta Tomcat 22 so I had to take the slide off. Voila ! Looks like they test a lot

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Delaware County)

That slide looks exactly the same as mine. The "dimples" look like drill holes. I still have not been able to find out why they are there. As I mentioned earlier, Buffalo's Outdoors channel on YouTube has an inox version that only has two. I have a friend who's has three like mine. He didn't even notice them until I mentioned them being on mine.

(Dauphin County)

I am going to say they are not hardness testing dimples. First, there would not be three, and they would not be different sizes, as the one clearly is. Second, there is way too much material missing. If the two larger dimples were created by applying pressure to a hardened steel stamp, the displaced material would have to do somewhere, and it would have bulged the sides of the slide. Those holes definitely look like they are milled with a ball end mill, most likely for balancing of the slide.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Well whatever purpose they serve, the pistol itself has been a delight. Apart from the expected failure to cycle Remington Subsonic, all the other ammo I've tried has functioned without fail. With the caveat that the number of rounds has been small, the list is:

Federal Range ammo (40gr, 800 to a box)
    CCI Standard Velocity
    CCI Mini Mag (40gr)
    CCI Velocitor
    Agila Interceptor

I have some Federal Punch 29gr (not sure why I bought that) and Winchester Silvertip 37gr fragmenting hollow point that I have not tried yet.

(Montgomery County)

My new LCP max has dimples on the underside of the slide. Apparently not just a Beretta thing.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    My new LCP max has dimples on the underside of the slide. Apparently not just a Beretta thing.
    For reasons, I got an LCP Lite Rack 22LR. It also has a row of dimples inside the slide. You have to take the slide off to see them. But they are there and seem to serve no functional purpose.

I wonder if there are minor design revisions that don't warrant a new model variant and the factory uses these as some sort of code.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast