Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ever had an ND and what did you learn from it?

More into an ND....in woods with same flintlock when a deer presents. With the rifle still pointed upward behind a tree, I get ready for the shot by squeezing the set trigger. Except it was the main trigger. Bye bye deer. And some small branches.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    How about wanting to fire off the load in a flintlock rifle and the flint breaks. So while a friend held the rifle in a shooting position, I touched it off with a lit cigarette, leaving nine black spots under the skin of my right little finger, and one black spot in the ring finger?
    It may be a backhanded-compliment, but I again see nothing "negligent"... You meant for the gun to go off and were prepared for it to do so. Maybe you didn't achieve that in the most ideal manner, but you didn't have a gun fire without meaning it to.

But keep trying. If you did something 'negligent' I'll be the first to agree :-)
    DGAF

(Montgomery County)

No, thankfully. Very close one time though and caught myself at the last second... Safe direction but it would have really sucked.

(Berks County)

Not yet and hope to keep it that way.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

was like 19 , reloading 30 carbine. tried a couple in the gun... left one in and blew a hole in my floor . scary shit , my dog was laying 3 ft away.
    hasn't happened since

Helping a new shooter and had been preaching muzzle control, stepped up to the line and dropped the slide on my Ruger MK II. Lucky it was outside on my range, the sear spring decided to die and I put one in the ground in front of the line. Made a believer out of the new shooter.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Allegheny County)

Fortunately, not yet. I layer the four rules and I'm sure I've probably messed one of the rules up several times, but not enough to cause an ND so far. Hopefully if that ever happens, the redundancy of the rules will let it end safely as well.

I read on another forum that there's only two types of people: those who have had an ND and those that will have an ND. Trying to stay vigilant and prove him wrong

This thread is really useful to hear other's stories, thanks for sharing!

(Dauphin County)

I haven't had one, but I was nearly the victim of one. Hunting with a friend, his son, and his son's friend. While taking a rest from walking, and figuring out our next move, the son's friend was messing around with the trigger on a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs, when it went off (read: he pulled the trigger!) and the slug entered the ground about 2 feet away from my 2 feet. I learned to be careful who you shoot or hunt with, learned a good lesson about paying attention to what others are doing, learned fingers should be kept off of the bang switch, and learned that life could be fleeting.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Not yet and hope to keep it that way.
    My grandfather had what was, IMO, the definitive ND: He was getting ready to clean an old double barrel 12-gauge on the kitchen table. Grandma said "I wish you wouldn't do that here"... He said "don't worry, it's not loaded," pointed it at the kitchen cabinets and pulled both triggers. Grandma was pleased b/c she got a new kitchen out of the deal.

That was the same old worn-out shotgun that would often-times 'break' when you fired the left barrel and eject the shell right back at your face. Shot with it many times, and to this day I have a tendency to jerk my head to the side every-other shot with a shotgun - 'just in case'. Muscle-memory, I suppose.

I would NEVER hold up my grandfather as a paragon of gun safety. He was basically irresponsible at all times. More ND's than you can count. None, thankfully, resulting in human injury - except the time he killed his bird-dog by accident. Just sayin' EVERYONE knew to stay clear of grandpa if he had a gun.

Dad wasn't much better. One time I was walking along ahead of him and he saw a snake laying on the path. Started blazing away with his pistol right between my feet. I was likely in far more danger from him than the snake.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

I know a guy who had a SAA or Schofield caliber .45 in a holster, was visiting his sister and had a problem with the door of a space heater and used his gun as a hammer. I didn't question him about it as he was naturally concerned and embarrassed but somehow the gun fired, sending a bullet the length of his forearm before exiting, just basically sub-dermal with no permanent damage.
    Last edited by Bang; October 23rd, 2021 at 10:41 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast