Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: What's black, aluminum, plastic, and is worth its weight in silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

The weight is about perfect in my mind. I just need to get over the mental baggage of the stock, lol

Best of luck with the build, truly impressive and inspiring!
    Thanks!

This might help alleviate your mental baggage regarding the monolithic polymer lower/stock:

Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Just got an email from Brownell's announcing that these are "Finally in stock".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Well it turns out this rifle isn't exactly "ready to run" out of the box. First issue was it wouldn't reliably ignite hard primers. I was offered a $40 upgrade to their newer Rekluse trigger that has a full strength mil spec hammer strike. That at least fixed the primer ignition issue.

The rifle won't reliably run 2020 and newer production Lancer L5AWM magazines. Constant failures to feed. At least it works reasonably well with USGI style mags and Gen 3 PMags (with a caveat; see below)

The biggest ongoing issue: The Faxon pencil barrel is ridiculously overgassed for this config. Ejection pattern of 12:30 to 2:00 consistently. Magazine drops out occasionally upon recoil due to the way the ambi mag release works and under excessive recoil it can let go of the mag unintentionally. Sometimes the bolt will lock back even with rounds left in the mag, which may also be excessive hard recoil/bolt cycling speed related. KE Arms is sending me a stronger spring to fix the ambi mag release problem but that's just a symptom of the larger overgassing problem. Upon advice from Russell at KE Arms, I got a set of tungsten weights to add to the JP Silent Capture Spring to increase the reciprocating mass and thus slow down the bolt cycling a bit. Even at H3 equivalent mass, it still ejects at 12:30 to 2:00.

Next step is adjustable gas block. I have a Superlative Arms AGB on order to resolve the issue once and for all.

Not super happy with spending an extra couple hundred bucks on an already-expensive complete AR that should have been ready to run out of the box. If the adjustable gas block fixes my issues completely, I'll be satisfied but probably won't recommend the complete rifle to anyone. I still like the concept, but the execution needs some more polishing and testing to be correct.

(Allegheny County)

That sucks. I would be pissed.

I could see maybe a minor issue with a scratch-built rifle, but not a factory assembled one.

Luckily, I didn't have any problems with mine when I built essentially the same thing prior to them coming out with that concept.
    Same barrel and GWACS Armory lower.
    I had to use an adjustable gas block because of the ultra-lighweight buffer and lightweight BCG.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    That sucks. I would be pissed.

I could see maybe a minor issue with a scratch-built rifle, but not a factory assembled one.

Luckily, I didn't have any problems with mine when I built essentially the same thing prior to them coming out with that concept.
    Same barrel and GWACS Armory lower.
    I had to use an adjustable gas block because of the ultra-lighweight buffer and lightweight BCG.
    Yeah I expect the AGB will be the key to resolving everything going on with it. Once I get it dialed-in I might just end up trading it anyway for a Daniel Defense or something if the bad taste doesn't leave my mouth from the whole ordeal.

But then again, after all the work and parts I've put into it I may just keep it as a reminder of the price that early adopters must pay

(Allegheny County)

I want one of those new lowers.
    If you part it out, start with me.
    LOL

(Lehigh County)

Well the adjustable gas block finally tamed the beast, got it dialed for just enough gas to reliably cycle the Wolf .223 (ejection pattern around 4:00), and while the brass 5.56 stuff cycles the bolt with more gusto, it still runs reliably and ejects around 2:30 to 3:00, with no unintended mag drops on recoil or misfeeds. I call that a win.

The gas block appears to be running just fine, doesn't look like the set screws loosened up or anything. So I'm calling this a win.

(Lehigh County)

I bumped this thread just for you, Emptymag.

https://kearms.americommerce.com/KP-1516-m4-barrel.aspx

$600 fully built KP15 rifle. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the WWSD or the CDR but it's one heck of a deal IMO. Goes up to $700 if you want their hard chromed HMB BCG, but that's an optional extra. Comes stock with a nitrided BCG. Your choice of 12.5" or 15" handguard.

Weighs just ~1 lb more than the WWSD rifle.

(Delaware County)

I*ll stick my AMT Billet 80% lowers, Brass/Aluminum Forging Enterprises uppers & all the normal parts that make the AR what it is.. including the Forward Assist, LOL!

But good luck to those who like the polymer. Polymer belongs on a Pistol gull-dang-it! LOL!
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I bumped this thread just for you, Emptymag.

https://kearms.americommerce.com/KP-1516-m4-barrel.aspx

$600 fully built KP15 rifle. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the WWSD or the CDR but it's one heck of a deal IMO. Goes up to $700 if you want their hard chromed HMB BCG, but that's an optional extra. Comes stock with a nitrided BCG. Your choice of 12.5" or 15" handguard.

Weighs just ~1 lb more than the WWSD rifle.

Wow. That's awesome!

I won't buy one because I never have that much money sitting around, but I still DO want to build one using their polymer lower.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast