Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: El Malo (the bad)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I find it interesting hearing from two members who are in the know that are leaning to Uberti. I*ll go with that! My research was pointing me toward Pietta but I just don*t have the experience many of our fellow members do. Thank you everyone, I appreciate the info.

Update-Not that it matters at all to me but I just looked it up directly. Perhaps Pietta is upping its own expectations?? Is Uberti considered the better between the two?
    Well, there you go. Looks like I was wrong.

Both Pietta and Uberti are solid companies. I would trust either. I have an 1858 and 1860 army made by them and I like them. Usually, in my experience, Uberti did fancier finishes. Actions are solid on both Looks like yours is really nice though.

Learn something new every day. That's why I'm not a betting man.

So to put my foot in my mouth perhaps again , but both companies have really upped their overall quality and attention to detail in the past 2 decades. Uberti is owned by Beretta so they have considerable resources and a reputation to uphold , but Pietta has also come a long way. The third player was Armi San Marco , but they are gone. Cimarron , being both makers biggest US salesman , has a big say in quality too.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

Thanks again. Before I found this the name I was definitely more familiar with was Uberti. I actually saw a Pietta in another shop but passed because it had cheap plastic grips. I figured if they skimp there they must do it somewhere else as well. I*m happy with the purchase I found and glad to pick up a little knowledge along the way from you guys.
    The only problem I have now is it*s killing me to shoot up my limited supply of 357!!
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

Just a quick range update. Headed out with it two times now. About 100 rounds total. Not enough for a thorough review yet but a good place to start.
    My initial thoughts were the fixed sites were hitting a little low. I started getting hits at point of him after the first 20 shots or so so it must*ve been the way I was gripping it or something. After about 40 shots I was worried that the cylinder felt like it was binding up. What it was though was the cylinder pin creeping out. It has a notch in it and if it*s sitting just right it doesn*t fully engage. Once I got that squared away it wasn*t an issue again. I can*t say enough about how smooth the action is. I didn*t fully realize it on my first Range trip but the next day I brought my Ruger super Blackhawk and heritage 22 along. I know those two guns aren*t much to compare it to but it was a world of difference.
    Like I say 100 rounds is not much for a thorough review but so far I*m very pleased with what was pretty much a spur of the moment instinct buy.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Washington County)

I must disclose a secret. I hope to try mounted shooting at some point. Ride around on a quarter horse popping balloons with single actions and blanks on the timer. Looks like a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12