Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default DIY firestarters

I read an article on these firestarters some time ago and wanted to make some. I just never got around to it til recently.

Start with the bottom of a cardboard egg carton. Fill the individual egg holes with wood chips. I used chips made with a sharp chainsaw blade and leveled everything a bit below the outside edge. Next, melt candlewax and pour wax into each egg hole, till the wax is well spread. Let it dry and harden, then you can cut one out to start a fire. Just light the cardboard with appropriate twigs and sticks on top.

Pros, they burn for a long time, giving you ample opportunity to build your twigs on top. Cons, they take a little work and you have to buy wax, but they do burn a good while. You do still need a match because a shower of sparks probly isnt going to work.

Powdery sawdust that is too fine may not work if it packs too tightly in the carton, as it won't allow the wax to circulate properly. When I cut one out, they hold together well and only 2 or 3 chips fall free.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: DIY firestarters

Dryer lint inside empty toilet tissue rolls Doritos catch fire also 💡

(Northumberland County)

All good ideas. I usually use the dryer lint or lint+wax ones myself.

Also steel wool...touch a 9v battery to it or even just a flame, and it'll take off.

(Erie County)

I save all of the shavings from my pencil sharpener and keep them in small zip lock bags. They catch a flame very quickly and help to light solid type fire starters.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I read an article on these firestarters some time ago and wanted to make some. I just never got around to it til recently.

Start with the bottom of a cardboard egg carton. Fill the individual egg holes with wood chips. I used chips made with a sharp chainsaw blade and leveled everything a bit below the outside edge. Next, melt candlewax and pour wax into each egg hole, till the wax is well spread. Let it dry and harden, then you can cut one out to start a fire. Just light the cardboard with appropriate twigs and sticks on top.

Pros, they burn for a long time, giving you ample opportunity to build your twigs on top. Cons, they take a little work and you have to buy wax, but they do burn a good while. You do still need a match because a shower of sparks probly isnt going to work.

Powdery sawdust that is too fine may not work if it packs too tightly in the carton, as it won't allow the wax to circulate properly. When I cut one out, they hold together well and only 2 or 3 chips fall free.
    Been making these for years, but i just twist up a wad of newspaper instead of wood chips. Works great.
    Store them on a plastic coffee can.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

We used to do the roller up newspaper and wax, eggcarton, and tunacan with rolled up cardboard and wax, in the scouts. I used to carry film containers full of lint too ( have to substitute pill bottles now...) I don't buy wax too often, just save the wife's used candles and melts, ask enough women and you'll get more wax than you can use lol

pill bottle, old school film can, etc stuffed with dryer lint and soaked with motor oil. pull out a pinch and put it on some dried twigs or grass and leaves as kindling
    Also save rancid olive oil instead of the motor oil
    the $1 magnesium fire starters from harbor freight work in the rain
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lancaster County)

I use dropped pine cones for field expedient fire starters. But I also carry cotton balls rubbed with Vaseline or sometimes fatwood.

(Delaware County)

I did the egg cartons without any filler, just a tablespoon or two of wax per cup did the trick and the cups would stack so saved space and weight in the backpack. Waxed newspaper rolls worked well, but were harder to light than the thin edges of the egg cartons.

(Franklin County)

The first time I heard Doritos I thought 'no way' but I tried it and the damn things do burn. When I was a Camel Snus user, I saved my tins. The thinner ones are waterproof so I keep pencil sharpener shavings in them. Matches too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast