Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Pistol 101 Basic Training

Does anyone know of someone offering a basic pistol training for a new gun owner. I need someone in the Washington County or western Allegheny areas.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Pistol 101 Basic Training

I'm on the other side of the state, but I called several ranges and asked if they offer training. A few did and I booked time with one last year.

In the absense of any other option, dryfire unloaded options are available. There's a lot of cqb videos on youtube, but putting it into practice is another thing.

You can practice carrying your weapon unloaded, no magazine, around the house. Ask your room mate or significant other to entertain the option that every time they surprise you, you draw. Again, ensure the gun is empty, no round in chamber, no magazine. Don't want any mishaps here. Folks can complain about weight but in the moment in question, it's not gonna matter. Just becoming familiar with your firearm and having it on you at all times around the house will do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    In the absense of any other option, dryfire unloaded options are available. There's a lot of cqb videos on youtube, but putting it into practice is another thing.

You can practice carrying your weapon unloaded, no magazine, around the house. Ask your room mate or significant other to entertain the option that every time they surprise you, you draw. Again, ensure the gun is empty, no round in chamber, no magazine. Don't want any mishaps here. Folks can complain about weight but in the moment in question, it's not gonna matter. Just becoming familiar with your firearm and having it on you at all times around the house will do wonders.
    I suspect that the OP is looking for instruction on the fundamentals of marksmanship...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    Does anyone know of someone offering a basic pistol training for a new gun owner. I need someone in the Washington County or western Allegheny areas.
    We are located in SW PA in West Alexander (15 minutes West of Washington). We have certified NRA Pistol Instructors as well as LEO's and veterans on our training staff, however we are outside only at this point since our classroom is closed. Private training available.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Westmoreland County)

A&S indoor pistol range in Youngwood has a Basic pistol class, Saturdays or Tuesday/Thurs evenings. Not in Washington county, but it*s indoors. Check their web site www.indoorpistolrange.com

(Dauphin County)

OP, I respectfully ask that you don't do this. It could develop a habit that could get someone shot. There are reasons why the 4 rules are the 4 rules.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

This advice is asking to be a statistic.....

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    This advice is asking to be a statistic.....
    But it wasn't loaded....
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Westmoreland County)

As has already been mentioned, A&S Indoor Pistol Range in Youngwood does those types of classes and they're indoor so if the weather is bad... Also, https://www.ust2a.com/ does all manner of training out of Greensburg Sportsman Club (don't need to be a member) near the Westmoreland County Fairgrounds. I took the basic NRA pistol course at A&S many years ago and it was good but I have no experience with the second outfit, I just know they've been around for a while. If you don't mind a bit of travel I can highly recommend Pat Goodale at www.pgpft.com down in Alderson, WV. I've been training there for years and it's outstanding training for all levels of proficiency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast