Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Chester County)

Default Travel with a firearm for secure luggage

I'm supposed to be heading to Chicago for work this week and the thought popped into my head about the possibility of carrying a firearm in order to lock my luggage to keep TSA's dirty hands out of it.

I have a "checked bag" size Pelican case that I could securely lock but not too sure of the specifics. Could one potentially take just an AR lower, since that is the firearm, and toss it in a large hard case and be able to lock the entire case?

Would one be able to do this in Illinois, O'Hare to be particular? I'm sure I wouldn't have too much trouble at PHL but I don't know about Chicago. I couldn't find anything saying it wouldn't be permitted but my firearm law knowledge is pretty much limited to PA and surrounding areas.

Default Re: Travel with a firearm for secure luggage

Not sure about the answer to your specific question, but it's worth noting that TSA requires a few other items that are not firearms to be declared, locked, and treated the same way as firearms. Flare guns and certain firearm lookalikes come to mind. This would allow you to lock your bag using real locks without any concern for laws prohibiting possession of actual firearms in IL.

I recommend checking out this page from Deviant Ollam, a security researcher who pointed this out years ago: https://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
    I am not a lawyer.

(Montgomery County)

Don't know transport laws in IL but I have strong doubts you have a reciprocal permit to be able to carry legally.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us for state by state info. But seems like you want to take a lower in order to make your bag more secure? Just lock it regardless of if there's a firearm in there. Use a TSA approved baggage lock. Not sure where you're going with this or why only packing a firearm would allow you to lock your bag.

(Bucks County)

Just flew toDenver, then home outof Salt Lake City by way of Nashville.
    Process: approach ticket agent/ baggage counter.
    Hi, I need to declare a firearm.
    Ok, open the bag. Remove locked case from bag. Fill out short form. Name address, phone number, felt number. Install tag on locked case. Carry it over here and send it up conveyor. Wait five minutes, if nobody comes out, enjoy your flight! Have a nice day.
    They never look at the gun except for x-rayto ensure it ain*t loaded, mags can be loaded, and spare round secured where nothing can touch primer. Simple.
    Note: you could throw a cap gun in the case and get the awesome treatment without actually becoming a felon at one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Note: you could throw a cap gun in the case and get the awesome treatment without actually becoming a felon at one end.
    This ^^^.

TSA locks suck. Declare a cap gun and use real locks.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Don't know transport laws in IL but I have strong doubts you have a reciprocal permit to be able to carry legally.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us for state by state info. But seems like you want to take a lower in order to make your bag more secure? Just lock it regardless of if there's a firearm in there. Use a TSA approved baggage lock. Not sure where you're going with this or why only packing a firearm would allow you to lock your bag.
    Because if you have a firearm you can lock it with a real lock, not a TSA lock that anyone can buy a master key for.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    Because if you have a firearm you can lock it with a real lock, not a TSA lock that anyone can buy a master key for.
    Maybe it's my lack of knowledge but when I fly I lock my handgun case with real locks and put that inside my suit case that's locked with a dinky TSA luggage lock. I always thought the idea was to allow TSA access into your baggage to inspect that the handgun case meets travel requirements.

(Bucks County)

I used real locks on the case, and on the luggage. THAT was the point of waiting where the luggage went to TSA. If they need to open it, they*ll come get you. All TSA is going to do is x-Ray the contents, go *ho hum, I remember the good old days when we could get a sweet holster out of the deal and blame baggage monkees*, and send it to plane .

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Maybe it's my lack of knowledge but when I fly I lock my handgun case with real locks and put that inside my suit case that's locked with a dinky TSA luggage lock. I always thought the idea was to allow TSA access into your baggage to inspect that the handgun case meets travel requirements.
    TSA won*t open luggage without you present. Therefore, you can lock it, or not, if they want in, you*re going to be standing there. The gun case proper needs secure (non-TSA locks per THEIR documents at the gate). That way you can*t say * you opened it, took the gun, and relocked it), the gate agent doesn*t even want that case opened to peek in. They look at the locked case, give you a card to fill out, affix it to case, you put it back in luggage, close and lock (or don*t lock) . From there it goes up a belt to a TSA inspector who xrays the bag. it*s total simplicity He either likes what he sees, or he comes out and you open it for him.
    It*s so simple, everyone feels the need in their mind to complicate it because, * it*s a .gov program, it has to be worse than this*!
    It*s elegant in its simplicity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Not sure about the answer to your specific question, but it's worth noting that TSA requires a few other items that are not firearms to be declared, locked, and treated the same way as firearms. Flare guns and certain firearm lookalikes come to mind. This would allow you to lock your bag using real locks without any concern for laws prohibiting possession of actual firearms in IL.

I recommend checking out this page from Deviant Ollam, a security researcher who pointed this out years ago: https://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
    I was about to recommend Deviant's page. It's about the most comprehensive you'll find.