Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wanted to buy a .22 Hornet rifle but... prices!

I was thinking of buying a 22 Hornet rifle, mainly a Ruger 77/22. But the prices are insane. I looked at gunbroker, and we are talking $800+ final purchase prices for what seems to me to be a plain bolt action rifle that's not even in a super popular caliber.

Are prices just that ridiculous these days?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Wanted to buy a .22 Hornet rifle but... prices!

Quote Originally Posted by timk225 View Post
    I was thinking of buying a 22 Hornet rifle, mainly a Ruger 77/22. But the prices are insane. I looked at gunbroker, and we are talking $800+ final purchase prices for what seems to me to be a plain bolt action rifle that's not even in a super popular caliber.

Are prices just that ridiculous these days?
    Yes and no. Prices are up, but your looking for a kinda nitch caliber now days too. Those are harder to find and will bring a premium, especially in this market. Could always look at savage and CZ as well. They both make guns in a Hornet and might be a little cheaper (at least the Savage). Probably will have a better trigger than the Ruger also IMHO.

(Northumberland County)

What Suehr said on expanding manufacturers under consideration, if possible. I dont know for sure, but that sounds like a rare combo you're after/cant say I've ever even seen one.

Might want to speak to your local LGSs and express interest in a hornet...let them do the searching for you. It's not that popular anymore, so if they get one in used, probably a good chance they be happy to offload quickly/keep you in mind.

(Jefferson County)

Firearm and ammo prices are up these days. A year+ of closed factories, which has created a lower supply mixed with a politically motivated higher demand, thus the limited supply and high demand has drive up costs. And on top of that, there is a high inflation rate going on.

Lots of gun shops around here are depleted of guns or ammo, or both. Hardly any used guns in the shops, new gun availability is much lower, and if the shop has ammo, hunting and non-common ammo is about $35-$50 a box of 20.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!