Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Singapore’s SAR-80, Sterling Assault Rifle

I thought I would have this done by now but the guy making barrels has had some delays from his barrel blank supplier. He hopes to have them done by the end of March now. I never finished re-welding the receiver but I will get back to it once I finish some other projects.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Recently it came to my attention that Childer's Guns in WV was posting some SAR-80 content on their IG page.

Today they released barrels for sale! 50 available. I snagged one.

https://www.childersguns.com/Surplus...me-Lined-Blued

They have 80% upper receivers in the works as well and will be putting out more information on them this week. No date yet on when they will be available to buy.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Barrel shows up Saturday. They did a really nice job on it.

I finished welding the receiver back together, and made it semi-only. I have a little more welding to do at the rear of the receiver but that can wait until after test firing.

Here's some info on making sure the upper is semi-auto only. First, grind the pin off the bottom right side of the bolt that would trip the auto sear. Next weld a block in the upper, sitting inside the the lower right rail, that would block a bolt with the auto sear trip from being inserted and block a lower with the auto sear sticking up from being attached to the upper. The block was about 3/4" long x 3/8" wide x 1/8" thick.

After welding, the receiver needed some tweaking. Being so thin there isn't a straight line anywhere despite my efforts. The thin metal did lend to being beat around into shape though. I heated areas with a torch and blacksmithed them until the bolt moved freely and it fit the lower properly.

Then barrel threaded in and headspace checked. No modification needed.

Set the gas block location using the hand guards. Drilled the gas port 3/32" per the original barrel chunk that came with the kit. I probably should of gone with the next size smaller drill, a #42.

Reamed the gas block taper pin holes using a 2/0 reamer to re-use the original pins.

Ready for a test fire. If that works I have some cosmetic welding and clean up to do, then paint.

One note on the fire control group. An AR15 fire control group goes right in, which is helpful for your 922r part count. The only thing that was an issue was the safety selector. For whatever reason, the selector I used was being pulled too far to the right side of the lower by the detent that it wouldn't release the trigger in semi. So I had to grind the shoulder that was interfering with the trigger slightly.

Update: test fired went well yesterday. Now for my least favorite part. Making it look nice and finishing it.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; February 18th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.

(Washington County)

I finished adding material to the back of the receiver last night and gave it a coat of paint. I will pick up some VHT wrinkle paint today and spray it to match the lower. That should hide my welds pretty well.

Last edited by JoshIronshaft; February 18th, 2022 at 09:58 AM.

I like to body work with jb weld steel and block sand before paint

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Gonna need some duct tape for that barrel.
    duct tape is for rookies, I'd go with JB Weld

(Washington County)

I picked up a can of VHT wrinkle paint from the auto parts store and its a damn near perfect match to the original finish on the lower. Crazy paint!

(Westmoreland County)

Very cool, retro style

(Washington County)

220 SAR-80 kits are expected to hit the market sometime in the fall of this year.

Get your receiver parts and barrel now while they're on the market.

This rifle is a lot of fun to shoot. Very smooth/low recoil impulse.

(Tioga County)

I find it pretty cool you were able to put that together and make it all work. I mean how many people in the US have a SAR 80?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast