Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers…

Default Primers…

Howdy pafoa

I have been shooting maybe monthly instead of weekly for I guess a couple years now. The last primers I bought I felt like I was lucky to score at $100/thousand.

Any news or production to report? Things getting any better? I used to be able to clean an NRA bullseye target at 50 yards on a good day by now I’m probably lucky to be on paper. Perishable skills and all- at least I enough 22 to put in the berm for a couple years but I don’t even go to stores looking for components any more.

Thanks

Radar

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Primers…

Not really seeing much out there.

Got some powder this weekend and there are some bullets available, especially online but very little primers.

I don't see the primer issue being resolved for some time to come.

Various types have been showing up online , but at 3x-4x costs and 1K-2K limits that don't spread the shipping and hazmat very far.
    (Midway, Brownells, PowderValley, Natchez, Grafs)

Until they are limitless at the LGS again, I won't be buying any at any cost.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Various types have been showing up online , but at 3x-4x costs and 1K-2K limits that don't spread the shipping and hazmat very far.
    (Midway, Brownells, PowderValley, Natchez, Grafs)

Until they are limitless at the LGS again, I won't be buying any at any cost.
    My LGS gets limited quantities of Federal and CCI. I was paying $32/1000 before the pandemic. They're now $65-70 when he has them, not bad.
    NRA Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

See the thread for in this section "For those in need" and check the sources.

Just did a double check Natchez still has Federal Large Pistol and Federal Large Rifle primers in stock. a/o 1532 12 Oct 2021.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

East Coast Reloading Supply sent out an email yesterday that reads in part:

....a few folks expressed frustration at the cost of said primers. If you haven't purchased primers in recent weeks, the sticker shock is understandable, but unfortunately the market has shifted dramatically. The WHOLESALE cost for 1000 primers now exceeds $120 in many cases and we expect it to rise further. While we wish this was due to a short term logistics issue, our conversations with manufacturers lead us to believe it's a production capacity issue that will extend for at least the next two years (if not beyond). We know it's painful, but it's simply driven by market forces beyond our control.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

Wholesale $120 a thousand? I don*t believe a word of it.

(Tioga County)

I think there is a point where prices are so high and if economic conditions are not good, inevitably things will stack back up on the shelves. Also demand is very high right now but it reaches the point too where people feel they are good at some point and stop buying.

Primers are cheap to make, even today, but there are only so many companies that make them, so it's just a thing of them maximizing profits while they can. We are going to continue to hear and see all the whiny videos about how they are pushin it to the max and this and that. They are running the machines the same they have always have been and laughing all the way to the bank. Can't blame them.

I bought a crap ton of stuff from 2015 to 2019, have hardly bought anything in the past two years. I think I bought one box of ammo, a couple of pounds of powder and online, grabbed some bullets at a reasonable price in the past 2 years. Nowhere near the consumption I had previously.

I'd say if people want things to normalize, go on strike, refuse the pay the double/triple prices and find another hobby for a while.

If you didn't stash back in the day of excess supply and lower demand, well, maybe you learned your lesson for the next time just like I did in 2013.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Wholesale $120 a thousand? I don*t believe a word of it.
    I agree, smells like BS. I've been regularly purchasing for 69-79 per K all year. That SUCKS but in the big picture a 7cpr increase in my reloading cost is very small potatoes.

Things are getting pretty close to reloading not being worth the effort (again), but for the exact opposite of the usual reasons. What I mean is in a normal market if I can buy factory 9mm for $200 a case reloading is a waste of my time. Similarly, if I can't reload for less than $200 a case buying for $300 or $400 actually sounds reasonable to me ;->

Of course YMMV

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I agree, smells like BS. I've been regularly purchasing for 69-79 per K all year. That SUCKS but in the big picture a 7cpr increase in my reloading cost is very small potatoes.

Things are getting pretty close to reloading not being worth the effort (again), but for the exact opposite of the usual reasons. What I mean is in a normal market if I can buy factory 9mm for $200 a case reloading is a waste of my time. Similarly, if I can't reload for less than $200 a case buying for $300 or $400 actually sounds reasonable to me ;->

Of course YMMV
    I bought 2,000 SRP last week at $65 per. I*m fairly confident Cabela*s didn*t lose $110 on the transaction.

9mm is the only cartridge I shoot that I don*t reload. It didn*t seem worthwhile. I*m running low on stores now 3 years since my last buy and I have to reevaluate that position. I did buy a 9mm mold at the height of non availability just in case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast