Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Resident Model 94 gurus: pre 64 question

Hi viz front sight is mounted. I got hands on some vintage silver tip 150gr, a bunch of core lokt 150/170gr, some Winchester powerpoint 150/170gr, a box of 150gr powershok, a box of vintage CoreLokt 170gr, and a box of vintage 170gr Remington Speedlok (?).

I have a box of mixed core lokt for funsies while i drift the front sight (if necessary). I also have a surplus of 168gr .308 A-max bullets i’d like to develop a load with eventually. Going by the hornady 8th edition manual, starting charge should be around 29.5gr/~1800fps est. and max at ~2100 around 32gr

Busy day at the range ahead. 3 shots, wet/dry patch, fouling shot, next batch of ammo, repeat. I’ll start putting rounds on paper at 25yd tomorrow for comparison to the baseline i posted. Friend of mine has a chronograph he’s been itching to use since last christmas, so we are going to bust it out for factory loads

Range report:

25yd:

170gr seems to work best. Toss up between early core lokt and powerpoint. 3 shot groups with a patch thru the bore and a fouling shot between.

150gr powerpoint, powershok, and vintage win super x silvertip were best choices. Going to shoot this test again since i reused a target and groups were running together.

Tight group mostly, high and right on average. Adjusting elevation at rear sight didnt help much. I’ll run it out to 50yd and see where its at, if its high at 25yd it should be almost dead on at 50/75yd and 1”-2” low at 100.

Ran about 40 or so rounds thru today. Will need more practice with the new front sight.

Side note: i had two cases when i first started out today that had multiple ruptures in the neck. Factory loads to my knowledge, the crimp looked heavy on them though. Was also having cycling issues for the first fee groups, failures to feed. It wouldn’t pop the follower up high enough to allow the rim to pass through the cuts in the receiver, forcing them to feed at an odd angle until the bolt stuck on them. Had to clear and re rack the lever incredible hulk style. This went away once i took the hammer extension off.

For fun i also leaded the barrel up a good bit and popped off the last half of a box at a 10” round 3/8” ar500 gong. You can definitely see a hit from this vs the 22lr and 9mm its been shot up with. 3 shots flipped the plate out of the holder and knocked it 10ft back.

A soda can also got put out of its misery in 3 shots. I failed to hit with the 30-30 so i used its younger, cooler brother (spikes ar9 precision tack driver)

Williams 5D firesight set on order. I’ll pick up a scout mount rail from XS Sights and slap a cheap reflex sight on that and it should be good to go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12