Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Magnum Research BFR .500 Linebaugh

This is one highlight from this year. I've wanted one for some time. The .44 magnum just wasn't doing it anymore. The build quality of this revolver is incredible. Think the perfect timing and precision of a custom S&W, with the ruggedness of a Ruger. I had a custom bullet mold made by Tom at Accurate Molds and he did a fantastic job. It is a 2 cavity aluminum mold. One cavity being a 350 gr semi wadcutter and the second a 500 gr flat nose. With a full load it will scat those 500 gr pills out at 1,600 fps. Those loads are....jarring. I will say without shame that they are my recoil limit. To put it in perspective, you are talking the same energy as a full power 1 oz rifled 12 ga slug. In a handgun that weighs under 4 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Default Re: Magnum Research BFR .500 Linebaugh

Nice! Love saa pistols. Love 50 magnums.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lycoming County)

Very nice

(Clearfield County)

Where are you getting your load data? Hodgdon's website doesn't have anything nearly that hot.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Where are you getting your load data? Hodgdon's website doesn't have anything nearly that hot.
    I compiled mine from a few online sources, including some from the original owner I bought the revolver from. You are right, it's not easy data to find. If you really need data, PM your number and I can text you some pictures of my data sheets.

Cool, very nice pistol

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I compiled mine from a few online sources, including some from the original owner I bought the revolver from. You are right, it's not easy data to find. If you really need data, PM your number and I can text you some pictures of my data sheets.
    I don't have a gun chambered for it. I started looking around when you mentioned the velocity because I didn't know the round could be that hot and that load data sounds like it's not safe. .50 linebaugh is supposed to be around 36,000 max PSI, .500 S&W only gets 500 grain bullets up to 1,600 fps with 51,000 PSI

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I don't have a gun chambered for it. I started looking around when you mentioned the velocity because I didn't know the round could be that hot and that load data sounds like it's not safe. .50 linebaugh is supposed to be around 36,000 max PSI, .500 S&W only gets 500 grain bullets up to 1,600 fps with 51,000 PSI
    There is a lot of conflicting information. Firstly, it's never been SAAMI spec'ed, so there is no real baseline. No reloading manuals cover it. There are only 1-2 companies that make the ammo, and like most calibers they air on the side of caution. Also, there is a significant difference is build strength between pistols. A custom 2 lb gun build on a Ruger frame is not the same as the tank of a frame of the BFR. I worked up to my loads, and I have never had excessive pressure signs. Some primer flattening, but no more than you would see in a hot .44 mag.