Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default requirements for selling firearm

My husband passed away many years back and I want to sell a .44 magnum Stainless revolver that he owned. I have no paperwork on it but I am certain that whatever he needed to do was completed. He was a law abiding citizen and a responsible gun owner. Should I call the state police and try to track down whatever kind of license or permit he would have purchased? It's a beautiful piece and I've kept it just for sentiment but now it's time to let it go to someone who can use and appreciate it. I don't want to violate any laws or rules of this website so I sure would value the advice of someone who knows the legalities. Thanks so much.

(Chester County)

Default Re: requirements for selling firearm

Quote Originally Posted by deckerfp View Post
    My husband passed away many years back and I want to sell a .44 magnum Stainless revolver that he owned. I have no paperwork on it but I am certain that whatever he needed to do was completed. He was a law abiding citizen and a responsible gun owner. Should I call the state police and try to track down whatever kind of license or permit he would have purchased? It's a beautiful piece and I've kept it just for sentiment but now it's time to let it go to someone who can use and appreciate it. I don't want to violate any laws or rules of this website so I sure would value the advice of someone who knows the legalities. Thanks so much.
    You can put it on consignment at your local gun shop or find a buyer yourself and when a buyer is found all you need to do is fill out your side of the transfer paperwork at a shop who is a Federal Firearms licensed dealer. The nearest FFL to you is King's Shooter's Supply at 346 East Church Street, King of Prussia, 610-491-9901 they can walk you through the procedure and be more specific with your needs. Talk with them.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Kudos for JennifeG for a great response!

I will add that there is another option. Alderfer Auctions (http://www.alderferauction.com) in Hatfield holds firearms auctions every couple of months. You will pay a commission on the sale to them. (The percentage depends on the sale price.) I have both bought and sold in those auctions through the years and really have nothing but positives to say about Alderfers (except lately as a buyer, I see stuff frequently going for more than what I believe is retail price - good for sellers, bad for buyers.) There is of course always the unknown in a auction (good or bad) vs. a consignment.

You should be able to get estimates on value and net payment to you from both before deciding.

If you feel comfortable, you can also post the details and you may find offers from folks on here. My recommendation is ONLY allow a potential buyer to inspect it inside the dealer's shop and contact the dealer in advance to explain that you are bringing in a handgun for a private transfer (they do it all the time so this is nothing new) and you are meeting the buyer inside so thy can keep an eye out.

When transporting to or from a dealer, be sure that the gun is unloaded, wrap it securely (if possible in a locked container), and place it out of sight in your trunk. If you have ammunition to sell also, put it in a separate container. Go directly between your home and the dealer without any stops or errands.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

No need to call the police about anything, nothing good will come from it. No permits or licenses are needed in PA to purchase a firearm.

Consignment at a local shop sounds like the best route. Good luck!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    No need to call the police about anything, nothing good will come from it. No permits or licenses are needed in PA to purchase a firearm.

Consignment at a local shop sounds like the best route. Good luck!
    Yep! Just don't sell it to LGS or other store which will resell the gun. They'll give you wholesale price, and tell you they're giving you a great deal.
    The difference could be significant.

If she would provide more info on the gun, I'm sure someone here would come up with a ballpark price to ask.

(Philadelphia County)

Yes you can sell to anyone as long as its transferred at a local gun shop into the persons name you are selling it to,
    I am sure others here would assist, Question is,
    What brand is it, model and possible edition,
    IE
    3" barrel Smith and Wesson model 29-2.
    Or 6" barrel model 29-6.
    The price difference between the two seemingly same items can be substantial,
    If you choose to PM me or someone else, Its worth understanding what you have and what a fair price for it would be,
    Please feel free to reach out to one of us and ask for some assistance,
    I am sorry for your loss,
    Sincerely
    Peter B

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by deckerfp View Post
    I want to second that in PA there is no license or permit needed to own a firearm... so when you sell the gun you don't need to bring any paperwork, but you will need to bring identification(PA Drivers License or ID Card). Just bring the gun, meet the buyer and have it transferred to them at the gun dealer.

Fyi, If you have a case, gun sock or even a bag put the gun in, do so before going into the gun dealer, they prefer this rather than just walking in with it in your hand. Oh, and make sure it's not loaded.

Good luck with the sale,

(Montgomery County)

Hi Peter,
    It's taken me a few months to return to this task. I hope you will remember me and I do appreciate your assistance. The Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum is a model 29-2 with a 4 inch barrel. Stainless Steel. 20201002_124403.jpg I am trying to attach photos but have only been able to upload one successfully. I appreciate Jennifer's suggestion to contact King's Shooter Supply -- they are within walking distance of my home and they are the ones who suggested I contact PAFOA and list through that venue. The manager said he would only be able to offer me about 50% of what I would command on an open sales site. My guess is that the revolver is worth about $1200 ... it is in pristine condition. My husband did not use it more than 2-3 times . If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me how I could go about posting an ad on this site? I guess I would need to limit it to a local audience since everyone has informed me that I need to go in person to a regulated dealer. What do you think my next step should be ?

thanks again for your advice
    best regards
    Fran Decker

(Montgomery County)

Hi Fran, If that's a picture of the Smith & Wesson Model 29-2 then the finish is not stainless steel but nickel, a stainless Model would be a 629.

It also has a pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, a target hammer and a target trigger.

Unfortunately, those are not the original grips since they would have been wooden target stocks made from goncalo and alves. To a collector that will not the price down between $150 and $200.

It's a nice example of a very fine revolver, good luck with the sale,