Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle in truck

Default Rifle in truck

Planning to go hunting in November and will be in my truck with rifle in rack visible through back window. I’ve been out of Pa. for about 7-8 years now and always had my rifle and shotgun in the rack when I lived there with no issues. Wondering if this is still legal.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Rifle in truck

Still legal (or more accurately, still not illegal) - unloaded only for typical rifles/shotguns. Probably not smart to leave anything unattended and visible though.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Still legal (or more accurately, still not illegal) - unloaded only for typical rifles/shotguns. Probably not smart to leave anything unattended and visible though.
    ^^^this^^^

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockPistolero View Post
    Planning to go hunting in November and will be in my truck with rifle in rack visible through back window. I*ve been out of Pa. for about 7-8 years now and always had my rifle and shotgun in the rack when I lived there with no issues. Wondering if this is still legal.
    It's legal but you may want to stay out of Philadelphia doing that unless you have a PA license to carry a firearm. Per PA crimes code:

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=8&subsctn=0

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    It's legal but you may want to stay out of Philadelphia doing that unless you have a PA license to carry a firearm. Per PA crimes code:

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=8&subsctn=0
    18 Pa CSA §6106(b)(9) exception to §6108
    (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    Even if legal -- having it on display in Phila is begging for an LEO encounter.
    IANAL

Thank you for the info

(Elk County)

The current lawbreaker pastime around here is scanning vehicle interiors for backpacks, computer cases, messinger bags, etc., and doing a smash and grab on a side window with the pointy end of an escape tool, then fencing the goods for $$$ for recreational pharmaceuticals. The lifespan of a hunting rifle in the rear window rack of a parked, unattended pickup is projected at 16.27 minutes, +/- 3.04 minutes.

NOBODY does it, and neither should you.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The current lawbreaker pastime is scanning vehicle interiors for backpacks, computer cases, messinger bags, etc., and doing a smash and grab on a side window with the pointy end of an escape tool. The lifespan of a hunting rifle in a parked, unattended pickup window rack is projected at 16.27 minutes, +/- 3.04 minutes.

Noah
    I'd like to see the data used to come to those values.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

And don't forget to leave the action open with no detachable magazine installed or at the very least no rounds in the magazine. Been a while since I read up on it but that's my recollection.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'd like to see the data used to come to those values.
    "About 17 mins" was all the time the pickup owner said he was in the grocery store when I came out of the bank last week and called 911 when I saw the window smashed. All they got was a backpack full of gym clothes and boxing gloves. I made up the tolerance band. The local 5-Oh responding told us about the flurry of smash and grabs.

I started putting my messinger bag behind the truck seat.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast