Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: About Knives - HB 1929

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    It would depend on the individual knife model.

If you look at my 06, it was a lock mechanism that blocks the plunge lock (button) from opening enough to free the blade (open or closed). It is a strong lock.

Some autos, like out the fronts, have a very strong spring that you have to push past to activate the blade release. It's like a 10-12 lb. switch. Quite stiff. Even so, if you look up how the OTFs work, even if the did deploy, they wouldn't deploy completely. You might get poked, but not seriously. They aren't like the movies where the bad guy puts the unopened knife up against somebody's neck and the blade opens completely, stabbing them. It would bounce off, leaving a small, shallow, stab wound.

But, some side folders don't have locks. I won't buy one of these, personally. Any knife that won't stay closed in a pocket is a liability.
    Thanks, probably a good idea to find a shop and handle a few to get a feel for them.

(Bucks County)

OTFs are not under much spring pressure when they are fully opened or closed. Its your finger moving the switch that loads the spring so that is all of the force it has to deploy the blade and anything interfering with the blade when it is in free motion will stop it and take it off its tracks. You could get a poke with the sharp point maybe a small cut but its not going to stab you thru the leg so you need to go to the hospital. I have a cheap OTF but it has a huge blade and it deploys very quickly with a sharp snap. If you fire it at a cardboard box the tip will stick into one side of the cardboard but not come close to going thru. Expensive blades are no different, The spring needs to be weak enough so people can easily move it with their thumb.

Side opening switchblades are even lower risk. When they are carried in your pocket tip up even if they do go off its just going to partially open the blade till your pocket stops it. Yes you will have to be careful taking it out of your pocket but that is the same for assisted opening knives too.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Hmmm, I was always told double edged knives are "illegal" in PA. I was even told this by a knife maker in State. Interesting, I'll have to look up and do some more research.
    Interesting.

I was told by a senior detective of a local police barracks that you needed to go through an FFL to pass down a handgun from parent to child.

Your knifemaker must have hung out with him.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Want a double action OTF, 3-3.5" blade, what's the best one in the $100 range? Or is it a situation of buy once cry once and drop $3-400 for a microtech?

Was looking at this:
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--AKC-X-...omatic--134842
    Just announced this week: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS9...eversible-clip

Kershaw makes good stuff. I'm guessing this will be the new best option for a budget OTF

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak0 View Post
    Just announced this week: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS9...eversible-clip

Kershaw makes good stuff. I'm guessing this will be the new best option for a budget OTF
    Thanks for the heads up. I was ready to order the AKC but then they all went out of stock. Might snag the Kershaw when it's available instead.

(Centre County)

I just got a Kershaw Launch 9 and am very happy with it (other than their definition of sharp is not even close to mine )
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

I'd definitely do Kershaw over AKC but just my opinion and I'm far from any kind of expert - lol. Or just hold off a bit longer and go for the best - a microtech or benchmade I bought a benchmade a couple months ago and had a microtech in my cart but everything is selling out lately Good luck!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Unless you are in a hurry this probably isn't the best time to look for knives. They sold a bunch for Christmas and there are limited choices now for what is in stock. I started looking for switchblades before Thanksgiving and they had all kinds of models to pick from. All in stock and around black Friday there were some big bargains. I would say well over half of the models I was thinking about are now sold out and the prices are up. Hopefully in a few months when the dealers get restocked things will get better again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I'd definitely do Kershaw over AKC but just my opinion and I'm far from any kind of expert - lol. Or just hold off a bit longer and go for the best - a microtech or benchmade I bought a benchmade a couple months ago and had a microtech in my cart but everything is selling out lately Good luck!
    Good points. May just go microtech and be done.

For you guys looking in the Microtech direction finding stock is tough, they have a big Facebook group called MicroTech Knives with a lot of active members buying/selling and trading. I never even knew some of the ones that existed, if you think $400-$500 is bad that group will open your eyes to some of the custom and limited production ones. I found it after stumbling on a MicroTech ADO on eBay for crazy money, I happen to own one so joined to do a price check on mine.

Great sites to use for Microtech below:

https://southernedges.com/
    https://www.americanedgeknives.com/brands/microtech/
    https://nashvilletacticallounge.com/...ns/microtech-1
    https://www.edclifestyle.com/microtech-knives/
    https://www.smkw.com/

I had pretty much always used Smokey Mountain Knife Works since getting their catalogs since a kid. I've ordered one off Southern Edges and it was shipped out quick.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast