Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: About Knives - HB 1929

Good news indeed.

Just be careful folks; if I'm not mistaken, it's still illegal to have these shipped to you if you don't meet certain criteria.

(Columbia County)

Maybe Wolf thought if he signs it it might get Fetterman a vote or two.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    He signed it!!!! Microtech here I come!
    I just recently bought one of their Socom Bravo's for a new carry EDC and I've been happy with it. I bought it specifically because it's one of their few folders that aren't an automatic. If this actually goes through and becomes legal I'll be ordering one of the MicroTech Stitches at the start of the new year!

(Chester County)

I'm having trouble finding the actual text of the signed bill. Does it include all previously identified offensive weapons (such as double edged knives and blackjacks) or only automatic knives? When does it go into effect? Thanks!

As others have said, there is always more work to be done. But it is incredible that this bill got signed by a Dem gov who is normally in no way sympathetic to our rights with respect to firearms and knives. That makes it a win in my book. Note this does not translate for me into support for Shapiro in any way, shape or form. He must stand or fall on his own merits. But unfortunately, I fear he is going to win. The Mastriano campaign was asleep for the last year and has only just recently begun putting some ads out. Too little, too late is my guess. I really hope he pulls off a miracle, but I am not thinking he will.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Maybe Wolf thought if he signs it it might get Fetterman a vote or two.
    Call me a conspiracy theorist but assuming Fetterman gets in his plan is to get a lot of criminals released. Those criminals won't be able to legally buy a gun so a full auto knife should aid them in future criminal activity. That would be a good safety net for them until they're able to illegally obtain a gun for armed robberies.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I'm having trouble finding the actual text of the signed bill. Does it include all previously identified offensive weapons (such as double edged knives and blackjacks) or only automatic knives? When does it go into effect? Thanks!
    Text of the bill:
    https://tinyurl.com/28wzy8w3

The grey highlighted text will be removed from the statute. Takes effect in 60 days.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Thanks! So we might conclude that double edged knives, whose status was never completely clear, might now be considered legal? Since they do not appear in the text at all? But batons are still questionable/illegal/inadvisable for common citizens?

(Allegheny County)

May have to celebrate with buying a new auto knife.
    Today was a good day!

(Bucks County)

There is a lot of talk about local laws still banning knives on this and other threads. So what kinds of penalties can a city or township make up? Can a township make possessing a switchblade (or anything else) a felony with jail time? Or even a misdemeanor? Or do they just take the knife and give you a ticket.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    There is a lot of talk about local laws still banning knives on this and other threads. So what kinds of penalties can a city or township make up? Can a township make possessing a switchblade (or anything else) a felony with jail time? Or even a misdemeanor? Or do they just take the knife and give you a ticket.
    Let*s ask Philadelphia:

Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

This is why preemption is vital.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast