Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: About Knives - HB 1929

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You should really look up some of Gunlawyer001's posts on this subject.

He feels that even having it wired into a display case as a questionable affirmative defense.
    I have read his opinions. He's a bright guy and is conservative by nature.

I, personally, can't grasp how a statute, that lacks a written definition of terms and allows possession for some banal reasons, but not others, hasn't been ruled to be arbitrary and capricious and nullified. Statutory language, that is that subject to such whimsical interpretation, should not be allowed to stand.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

I, personally, can't grasp how a statute, that lacks a written definition of terms and allows possession for some banal reasons, but not others, hasn't been ruled to be arbitrary and capricious and nullified. Statutory language, that is that subject to such whimsical interpretation, should not be allowed to stand.
    Similar to “Other Lawful Purpose”, until someone finds themself in a bind over the definitions, and has a lawyer willing to challenge the legality of the statute…. It will stand as is

Not many people WANT to be in that position

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

Well, due to the vagueness and inconsistency of knife laws across the State they should be judged to be un Constitutional but as far as I know there hasn't been a case to bring this up before a court that can decide the Constitutionality of the law's vagueness and inconsistency. Today as they are used by Police and prosecution knife laws can and are used as add ons and door openers. Add ons to crimes committed by a defendant they really want to stick it to and use those as bargaining chips and a door opener to give reason for warrantless or even judge issued legal warrant searches.

I think and it's my opinion based on experience and knowledge that US Government and all it's tentacles changed it's outlook to the US Constitution and citizens right around the Woodrow Wilson administration to the perception that the Government is now the control over the people and not the people control over the government. With robber barons controlling who gets into office the people became subservient and servants to the government and in the end to the robber barons.

What does that all have to do with knife laws you ask? Well let's say you are a witness to a heinous crime committed by a famous or rich person or even a plain old officer of the law. One day before you go to testify on what you saw the Police suddenly show up to your house with a search warrant that says you have some illegal knives in your knife collection that your shooting buddy blurted out to an undercover officer at the bar. The next thing you know you're being hauled away in a police cruiser and being charged for owning illegal switch blade knives. This is how it works, power and money protects power and money. If they drop the charges on you in exchange for changing you're testimony then all goes away and everyone except the actual victim is able to go on with their lives.

Yeah, it's a made up story by me but it's a real example of how things actually work and why they need vague laws even though they are quite un Constitutional.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

I don't want to make anyone think i am advocating breaking any laws.......but are any of these laws enforced? Sure they can pile them on if you are a bad guy and did a felony (and the charges will be dropped with the plea bargain) but how many otherwise law abiding citizens got busted just for carrying any kind of knife?

Even in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia armory gun show went on for years and inside I would say 1/3 of the tables were selling some kind of dragon knife or sword. I must have missed it when the police were outside busting everyone who bought one. Did they even close down the dealers who were selling this illegal merchandise.

(Mercer County)

Do we have any way of knowing when the third and final consideration will be?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Mercer County)

It was presented to Wolf today!

(Wayne County)

Anybody have any inside information on the probability that this will get signed?

My cutlery addiction is going to get very expensive, if this does pass!

(Wayne County)

OK, now this makes me nervous!

There was only one "No" vote total, between both the house and the senate.

Hopefully, that is because the reps actually support the bill, not because they know that Wolf will veto it or let it sit and expire when the session ends, just so they can claim that "I supported it...but..."

I'd have a hard time imagining this would get vetoed with that type of unanimous support. Also, I doubt the Dems in the house and senate would throw Wolf under the bus like that. This isn't a highly publicized bill, so there's also no reason for a "fake" vote of support; no need to create optics for any specific group for a bill most people don't know about.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmeywvu View Post
    I'd have a hard time imagining this would get vetoed with that type of unanimous support. Also, I doubt the Dems in the house and senate would throw Wolf under the bus like that. This isn't a highly publicized bill, so there's also no reason for a "fake" vote of support; no need to create optics for any specific group for a bill most people don't know about.
    Never underestimate what a piece of shit Tom Wolf is. I*m cautiously optimistic.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast