Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Vacuum sealer for gun storage?

Just stumbled on this technique Internet. Seems like a viable solution for long-term storage. Does anyone do this? Would it add to the longevity if I would vacuum seal a piece of vci paper wrapped around the gun?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(York County)

Default Re: Vacuum sealer for gun storage?

You would have to have something that absorbs moisture in the bag.

While the vacuum reduces the empty space in the bag where moisture can be, there is still empty space. (In the barrel, mag well, around the trigger since the trigger guard will make a little bubble, etc)

Wherever those spaces are, the moisture problem still exists.

The problem is that you could have one empty space (say the inside of the barrel) completely isolated for another empty space (like around the sights where the bag doesn't totally compress against the metal)

So even having a moisture absorbing silica bag in there won't help if moisture is trapped in a little pocket away from the silica bag

I feel like this is a great idea for short term protection but not a great long term storage option

(Allegheny County)

I'll open my Food Saver packed ammo in another twenty years and prove all the naysayers wrong.

I think if I were to seal up a gun, I would oil the snot out of it.
    I wouldn't bother doing it at all aside from preparing for a SHTF type of thing and I don't have any spare handguns I care to pack away to likely never be seen again.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Along the same lines, I*m toying with the idea of winter storage for my wife*s 67 Mustang. We*ve had problems in the past with mice getting in and setting up shop. Im thinking of driving it into a large plastic bag and then vacuuming it down, then reinflating with nitrogen gas. Hold a 5psi over pressure on it and anything that gets in dies. No rust due to no O2.
    Still have a few kinks to work out. N2 is cheap, plentiful, and easily obtained. Should be easier to do on a gun cabinet.

I vac sealed a bunch of 50cal primers in 2010.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Along the same lines, I*m toying with the idea of winter storage for my wife*s 67 Mustang. We*ve had problems in the past with mice getting in and setting up shop.
    Not exactly on topic, but dryer sheets, peppermint oil and Irish spring soap keep mice away. We had issues with my wife's car and mice when COVID first hit (from sitting unused). We used peppermint oil in the cabin and engine bay. Havent seen any since.

(Warren County)

Budget option that may work better:

First oil and lube the metal.

Big clear heavy duty garbage bag.
    O2 absorber AND moisture absorber inside with gun.
    Vacuum cleaner wand against gun barrel and suck out the air

Twist the bag shut and use a twist tie if you want to save the bag or tape to close it up.

Air will leak back in...once. When pressure is equalized on both inside and outside the bag - no significant air movement will occur.

Keep the temperature stabilized ( to avoid condensation) and you should be good to go for years and years.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Monroe County)

I got my 2 M1's from the Navy and they were sealed in the vac foil with the paper and some descant. They were sealed in the '60s - opened in 2009 and were in new cond still.

https://www.protectivepackaging.net/...-specification
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Moisture removal is dependent on vacuum levels. Food sealers will remove air and possibly some moisture but unless your food saver pulls a 500 micron vacuum it isn't truly removing water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but dryer sheets, peppermint oil and Irish spring soap keep mice away. We had issues with my wife's car and mice when COVID first hit (from sitting unused). We used peppermint oil in the cabin and engine bay. Havent seen any since.
    Man, where I live, we have uber-tough country mice. I was having the same issue with mice in my Mustang. I put a couple traps in there. Came back two days later and the mice ATE THE TRAPS. All that was left were splinters and the metal snap part. At a hunting camp I go to, every spring, there are tiny tooth marks on the Irish Spring soap left out on the sink. They eat the very soap your mice are repelled by.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast