Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Vacuum sealer for gun storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but dryer sheets, peppermint oil and Irish spring soap keep mice away. We had issues with my wife's car and mice when COVID first hit (from sitting unused). We used peppermint oil in the cabin and engine bay. Havent seen any since.
    We were told the Irish spring soap for mice thing.. used it in our camper over winter.( with the other tricks like moth balls that never seem to help much)... next spring opened to only find they were eating it..

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Man, where I live, we have uber-tough country mice. I was having the same issue with mice in my Mustang. I put a couple traps in there. Came back two days later and the mice ATE THE TRAPS. All that was left were splinters and the metal snap part. At a hunting camp I go to, every spring, there are tiny tooth marks on the Irish Spring soap left out on the sink. They eat the very soap your mice are repelled by.
    Those are inbred mutant WV mice.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

They leave tooth marks all over the Irish Spring at the cabin I use too! Arrogant bastards!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Moisture removal is dependent on vacuum levels. Food sealers will remove air and possibly some moisture but unless your food saver pulls a 500 micron vacuum it isn't truly removing water.
    Interesting. I am legitimately looking for a to store more collectible handguns. I haven’t got out to the range much this spring and summer so it will be even less likely during the winter. I’ll keep enough out to take for when I do go of course.
    The way I typically store them is in the safe with two heat bars going and the guns themselves wrapped up in VCI paper and in their individual cases. From what I’m hearing it seems this may be a safer method than the vacuum storage bags.
    If anyone uses VCI paper do you still put them in oil before putting them away?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Interesting. I am legitimately looking for a to store more collectible handguns. I haven*t got out to the range much this spring and summer so it will be even less likely during the winter. I*ll keep enough out to take for when I do go of course.
    The way I typically store them is in the safe with two heat bars going and the guns themselves wrapped up in VCI paper and in their individual cases. From what I*m hearing it seems this may be a safer method than the vacuum storage bags.
    If anyone uses VCI paper do you still put them in oil before putting them away?
    I hope you don't mean in foam when you say "in their individual cases".

Foam in a gun case holds moisture. I've never done ANYTHING to protect any gun from humidity and the worst problem I ever had was from leaving a rifle in a plastic case after a range trip. The foam touching it caused very light rust on the barrel in a day or two.

(I have no idea what VCI paper is)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

The major cause of rust is not due to the humidity but mostly occurs when a colder firearm is exposed to that humidity and it condenses on it (think morning dew). This is a big problems in safes during the summer and why putting a heater like a goldenrod helps with the rust. Goldenrods are not dehumidifiers, they do nothing about the humidity, they are just heaters that help with the condensation problem.

If you are vacuum sealing something don't take the firearm out of a cool safe, take it upstairs where it is more humid, then vacuum seal it. You are almost guaranteed to get condensation. Instead pick a sunny day with low humidity and give the firearm a light oiling . Put it in the sun till it gets warm then vacuum seal it. There shouldn't be enough moisture left to worry about.

I hear carbonite works well for preserving things. Even in space. I saw it in a historical documentary once...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Not exactly on topic, but dryer sheets, peppermint oil and Irish spring soap keep mice away. We had issues with my wife's car and mice when COVID first hit (from sitting unused). We used peppermint oil in the cabin and engine bay. Havent seen any since.
    Camper owners recommend 'Grandpa Gus's peppermint and cinnamon packs. Only problem is they need to be changed out once a month or so but kept the mice away at the cabin...

(Philadelphia County)

A good vacuum would work if you can use a vacuum pump and get a real vacuum on the bag, I coat guns with ATF for long term storage and they do keep well!
    Mice and cars,
    Well you have to feed the mice well so they don't mess with your cars,
    1/3 sugar, 1/3 corn meal and 1/3 plaster of Paris,
    They will love the free meals,,,,,,,
    And not poisonous to cats, Birds or others which may eat mice that have intestinal blockages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    I got my 2 M1's from the Navy and they were sealed in the vac foil with the paper and some descant. They were sealed in the '60s - opened in 2009 and were in new cond still.

https://www.protectivepackaging.net/...-specification
    I remember hundreds if not thousands of M-14s and other small arms & accessories so packed when I was at NS Norfolk Station Ordnance.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast