Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: OAKS 3 Day Show OCT 15, 16, 17, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    totally understand this, but one hand feeds the other. the promoter needs actual gun dealers to attend. the gun dealers need the promoter to advertise and bring in the public. I spend over $1200 just to get to the show so im sure to be open for all hours. however, I see some dealers who aren't selling pack up or close up early....cant blame them for doing so if the buying public isnt in the building. its a tough market right now for dealers and I can completely understand dealers not able or wanting to do shows right now. with gun shows scheduled for every weekend this month, the last two weekends are in doubt. I may need to drop one or both because stuff just isnt available right now unless you want Smith and Wesson polymer hand guns.
    1200.00 just to get to the show?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    1200.00 just to get to the show?
    absolutely. figure up high table rent, road tolls, gas, meals, van rental, hotel stay, and other associated costs and it literally comes to $1200 before I sell a single thing. other dealers spend more than me just to get there as well. most people think dealers just hop in a car and drive down to the show and sit there all weekend but I will be the first to tell you its a ton of work, its expensive, and sometimes it just isnt worth it when the public doesn't buy. all of this goes into the decisions of dealers when they decide to do a show. now throw into the mix the difficulty of getting stuff and you really start to question how many or which shows you can do. I get that its a disappointment to see some dealers not at a show or some covered up during slow show hours, etc. but being behind the table isnt easy either. lets hope things get better for everyone soon!

(Berks County)

absolutely. figure up high table rent, road tolls, gas, meals, van rental, hotel stay, and other associated costs and it literally comes to $1200 before I sell a single thing. other dealers spend more than me just to get there as well. most people think dealers just hop in a car and drive down to the show and sit there all weekend but I will be the first to tell you its a ton of work, its expensive, and sometimes it just isnt worth it when the public doesn't buy. all of this goes into the decisions of dealers when they decide to do a show. now throw into the mix the difficulty of getting stuff and you really start to question how many or which shows you can do. I get that its a disappointment to see some dealers not at a show or some covered up during slow show hours, etc. but being behind the table isnt easy either. lets hope things get better for everyone soon!
    I get tired just looking at and thinking about all that stuff yous have to pack, unpack and repeat. And that's just you at $1200, think about the companies who have several guys manning their booths.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I get tired just looking at and thinking about all that stuff yous have to pack, unpack and repeat. And that's just you at $1200, think about the companies who have several guys manning their booths.
    tell me about it! the bad thing is most dealers come in Friday morning to set up which creates big time unloading issues. its kind of like organized chaos at this show during setup and tear down. I love this show but man it beats us up! im actually packing for the show right now and bringing as much stuff as we can to make it worth the trip. see all of you folks there!!!

(Westmoreland County)

tell me about it! the bad thing is most dealers come in Friday morning to set up which creates big time unloading issues. its kind of like organized chaos at this show during setup and tear down. I love this show but man it beats us up! im actually packing for the show right now and bringing as much stuff as we can to make it worth the trip. see all of you folks there!!!
    Same here. I'm still trying to sort out what all is going and how I'm going to fit it all in the van. I might have to get an extra table.

+1 to what Marines55 has stated per vendor costs and set-up and handling issues. It's part of the show circuit and we expect the difficulties as routine even though we could do without them. I like it when people tell me I should get a "Real Job". Gees! It's bad enough I'm in the shop 3-5 days a week + any gun shows I do.

As for show expenses: Again, we deal with those as best we can but depending on the show they can add up really quickly. Tables, fuel, turnpike trolls, hotels, and most importantly, good, reliable help. I don't even count meals as I figure I have to eat anyway. However I usually feed my crew at least lunch. Forgot about that one. And some people wonder why I sleep in my van or in the show venue when I can. The one good thing is my overhead at the shop is minimal. I helps offset the cost of doing shows.

Regardless, I hope to see as many of you there this weekend as possible. Travel safe all.

How is parking there?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G115BA View Post
    How is parking there?
    Tons of free parking. One of the better parking situations of most shows I have done or been to

I have a gun I was thinking of selling. I've never sold anything at a show before. Or bought anything for that matter. Is there a way I would go about doing it?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I have a gun I was thinking of selling. I've never sold anything at a show before. Or bought anything for that matter. Is there a way I would go about doing it?
    Jay, Before you get to the show make sure the firearm is unloaded and the action is wired tied. It's your choice if you want to put it in a case but it's not required(I personally would case any handgun).

At the main entrance, there will be a table with two Leo's checking firearms but you really don't have to approach them(if you follow the above) unless you feel the need or they hale you over.

I've seen guys advertise with signs on their backs and in the muzzle of long guns, usually a stick with a sign on it.

For long guns you can sell face-to-face no FFL is needed as long as you're both PA residence and not prohibited(You might want to have a POS contract drawn up ahead of time just to recored who you sold the gun to). Handguns have to be sold through an FFL so you'll have to find a willing dealer to complete the transaction.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by 4191775 View Post
    Jay, Before you get to the show make sure the firearm is unloaded and the action is wired tied. It's your choice if you want to put it in a case but it's not required(I personally would case any handgun).

At the main entrance, there will be a table with two Leo's checking firearms but you really don't have to approach them(if you follow the above) unless you feel the need or they hale you over.

I've seen guys advertise with signs on their backs and in the muzzle of long guns, usually a stick with a sign on it.

For long guns you can sell face-to-face no FFL is needed as long as you're both PA residence and not prohibited(You might want to have a POS contract drawn up ahead of time just to recored who you sold the gun to). Handguns have to be sold through an FFL so you'll have to find a willing dealer to complete the transaction.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

It's a long gun, so no FFL required. I was just curious if there was a physical message board or something there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast