Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ASPs, Expandable and Collapsible Batons - Legality of Purchase and Ownership

I've been giving some thought about investing in an ASP, but wasn't sure what the legality of owning such a device is as a PA resident.

1) Does PA allow its residents to purchase and own an ASP or collapsible baton by a civilian?

2) Are PA residents allowed to conceal carry an ASP or collapsible baton as a civilian?

3) Does PA have restrictions for the purchase and ownership of an ASP or collapsible baton by a civilian?

4) Does anyone own an ASP or collapsible baton, and if so, which brand/model did you go with and why?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: ASPs, Expandable and Collapsible Batons - Legality of Purchase and Ownership

Because the PA crimes code section that may cover that is so vague who knows if they are legal. Check out 908. Prohibited offensive weapons. Especially the definitions:

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=8&subsctn=0

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Does that mean a police officer can arrest someone for carrying one? Unless someone knows of a court opinion allowing ASAPs I probably wouldn't recommend one. Secondly an using an impact weapons can be considered using deadly force.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; September 24th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: ASPs, Expandable and Collapsible Batons - Legality of Purchase and Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Because the PA crimes code section that may cover that is so vague who knows if they are legal. Check out 908. Prohibited offensive weapons. Especially the definitions:

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=8&subsctn=0

Does that mean a police officer can arrest someone for carrying one? Unless someone knows of a court opinion allowing ASAPs I probably would recommend one. Secondly an using an impact weapons can be considered using deadly force.
    I think that self defense would be a valid lawful purpose.

However the key would be to get some formal training. Otherwise a prosecutor will say you were just swinging a metal pipe. Our training emphasized what areas of the body not to strike.

We are issued ASP 21 and 26 inch friction loc expandable batons. I like them. Very simple to use. They have shorter and lightweight ones that are easier to conceal and carry.

would you get in shit for just having it, probably not.
    if you are in shit and have it, you will be charged with prohibited offensive weapon at discretion of the prosecutor.

they are not considered entirely less-than-lethal. as a matter of fact, i'd shoot someone if they came at me with a baton or bat. a single good strike can kill or cripple.

you'd probably be in safer legal territory if you carried a stick or a bat, which serve common lawful purposes.
    it will be seized at a court and you may be charged under sec913, or it'll just be surrendered.

i prefer the asp sentry 16" balance is weird on longer models.
    imo, ianal
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Just get pepper spray.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

I've had an ASP baton since 1989. Have never carried it. Was originally planning to buy two and carry them both after studying Kali for a bit. Then a couple of cop friends advised against it because of the legal gray area they represented. They pretty much echoed what Carson said about training and self defense being a lawful purpose, but that I'd probably be arrested and would have to prove it in court. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. Kinda like carrying an assisted knife. I don't carry one because state law is not specific enough and local municipalities can make whatever law they please, so why risk it?

(Chester County)

From what I know about extendable batons, ASP's, they just aren't that effective for the weight that goes along with it. For self defense a fixed blade 3-5" blade is much more effective. ASP's were designed as an offensive weapon that are supposed to be for crowd control but in this day and age they've gotten little use during peaceful rioting and looting.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    From what I know about extendable batons, ASP's, they just aren't that effective for the weight that goes along with it. For self defense a fixed blade 3-5" blade is much more effective. ASP's were designed as an offensive weapon that are supposed to be for crowd control but in this day and age they've gotten little use during peaceful rioting and looting.
    If anyone is pulling a knife in a situation might as well pull a gun. Both are considered deadly force. A baton used to strike limbs, arms legs may be considered less than lethal force. Unless one is a uniformed police officer it would be awkward to carry because of it's size and to deploy it one needs room to swing it down or up to expand it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    If anyone is pulling a knife in a situation might as well pull a gun. Both are considered deadly force. A baton used to strike limbs, arms legs may be considered less than lethal force. Unless one is a uniformed police officer it would be awkward to carry because of it's size and to deploy it one needs room to swing it down or up to expand it.
    A primary defensive weapon is your firearm, a secondary defense weapon would be your fixed blade knife if for any reason the firearm is rendered inoperative. The ASP doesn't interest me as a secondary defensive weapon. I want to stop an attack and an ASP isn't that. I'd rather have a metal trash can lid with a handle than an ASP.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Dauphin County)

I have an asp for work and I've only ever used it to kill spotted lantern flies and to hook door stoppers. We get some training with them to be Act 230 certified, but it's never come out of the holster for any aggressive or defensive reason. Of course I'm just a security officer and not a police officer.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast