Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-Resident Concealed Permit for Philidelphia area

Hey, I am WV resident with WV and VA non-resident permit (since I work in VA) and I am going to be in the Philly area for about 2 months for reasons. From what I understand PA doesn't really have the best reciprocity with many states, mine included. From what I have read PA should issue non-resident permits but it looks like a county by county thing and the counties in PA seem to make it exceedingly difficult (need multiple references, only do things in person) and/or will only issue to state/county residents.

Can anyone clarify the process for me?

Also I heard that PA does have reciprocity with NH - including non-resident permits for NH - meaning that I could apply for a non-resident in NH and that will work for PA just fine. Is this true?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Non-Resident Concealed Permit for Philidelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by jfrankl8 View Post
    Hey, I am WV resident with WV and VA non-resident permit (since I work in VA) and I am going to be in the Philly area for about 2 months for reasons. From what I understand PA doesn't really have the best reciprocity with many states, mine included. From what I have read PA should issue non-resident permits but it looks like a county by county thing and the counties in PA seem to make it exceedingly difficult (need multiple references, only do things in person) and/or will only issue to state/county residents.

Can anyone clarify the process for me?

Also I heard that PA does have reciprocity with NH - including non-resident permits for NH - meaning that I could apply for a non-resident in NH and that will work for PA just fine. Is this true?
    Your question is confusing. If you have a WV permit, you don't need a VA non resident permit. VA is reciprocal with WV, just as PA is reciprocal with WV. What does NH have to do with anything? Your WV permit is good in PA, as long as it is not a provisional.

PA only honors resident concealed carry permits. You could have 40 non-resident permits, and still not be good in PA. You must be a resident of the state the permit is for.

I just learned myself that PA does not honor VA resident permits. Strange.

IANAl Just going by what this says:

Here's the info:

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-c...ty-Summary.pdf

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

According to handgunlaw.us, as long as it is a "regular" West Virginia permit/license, you are good to go in Pennsylvania.

Nonresident New Hampshire permits/licenses were accepted in Pennsylvania for (very) a short period of time after NH changed their requirements to not need a home state license. Shortly thereafter, the PA AG caught on and nullified the agreement for their nonresident licenses.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Your question is confusing. If you have a WV permit, you don't need a VA non resident permit. VA is reciprocal with WV, just as PA is reciprocal with WV. What does NH have to do with anything? Your WV permit is good in PA, as long as it is not a provisional.

PA only honors resident concealed carry permits. You could have 40 non-resident permits, and still not be good in PA. You must be a resident of the state the permit is for.

I just learned myself that PA does not honor VA resident permits. Strange.

IANAl Just going by what this says:

Here's the info:

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-c...ty-Summary.pdf
    Virginia honors Pennsylvania but Pennsylvania no longer honors Virginia resident licenses. I tbink that was Shapiro's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    Virginia honors Pennsylvania but Pennsylvania no longer honors Virginia resident licenses. I tbink that was Shapiro's doing.
    This. I have seen conflicting and out of date information. My current understanding is that Pennsylvania no longer honors Virginia or West Virginia permits.

Hence why I want to get a PA non-resident to cover my bases.

> If you have a WV permit, you don't need a VA non resident permit. VA is reciprocal with WV,

WV did not accept my VA proof of competency nor my old VA permit as proof of competency. VA allows you to use previous VA resident permit as proof of competency when applying for non-resident permit. So I did a VA non-resident then took a class in WV for WV resident permit. The reason for the odd order of operations is just my schedule was busy and things were weird with Covid. Also, I have seen a lot of conflicting information since the D's now have total power in VA and they changed requirements.

I have also seen conflicting information suggesting PA does NOT honor VA or WV hence my questions. The link looks good though, it looks like this was signed 2018 so hopefully still valid.