Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Free antique table: catch, it needs some work

I have an antique dining room table here that had been my grandparents, probably dates back to at least the 1930's I am wanting out of my garage.

I put it curbside but no was interested so its back in the garage.

Catch is it has a broken leg, its repairable if someone has the tools and skillset.

Table is pictured below. there are also two extensions for it that are not shown.

Its just going to further deteriorate at my place so am hoping someone with the skillset to bring it back to life and find a good use for it because I can't bear to see it wind up in a landfill.

best thing to do is email me at glocke12@ptd.net and post here that you have done so if you are interestedIMG_0750.jpg

Default Re: Free antique table: catch, it needs some work

To further encourage any interested parties, after repairing the leg it's really easy to freshen up one of these vintage pieces.

Take off the hardware and let the pieces soak in a jar/can of white vinegar. The decades of tarnish will come off with gentle rubbing.

Clean the surfaces, find a space outside to drop a tarp and pick your favorite color of KRYLON. Put a nice even coat on it and let dry in the sun.

Good for another 20 years, particularly for folks just starting out furnishing their places.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    To further encourage any interested parties, after repairing the leg it's really easy to freshen up one of these vintage pieces.

Take off the hardware and let the pieces soak in a jar/can of white vinegar. The decades of tarnish will come off with gentle rubbing.

Clean the surfaces, find a space outside to drop a tarp and pick your favorite color of KRYLON. Put a nice even coat on it and let dry in the sun.

Good for another 20 years, particularly for folks just starting out furnishing their places.
    Krylon? Ew.

Sand and stain that beaut.

Unfortunately today's young adults don't want things like this. Several years ago when cleaning out my parents home, no one expressed interest in dinning room furniture and a bedroom set, all mahogany and in great shape. (Probably purchased in late 40's) It all ended up in a friends garage as he had two young daughters and thought they would want them when they got married. Now the time has come and they have no interest.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Unfortunately today's young adults don't want things like this. Several years ago when cleaning out my parents home, no one expressed interest in dinning room furniture and a bedroom set, all mahogany and in great shape. (Probably purchased in late 40's) It all ended up in a friends garage as he had two young daughters and thought they would want them when they got married. Now the time has come and they have no interest.
    You in south east pa?

I may be interested!

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    You in south east pa?

I may be interested!

yes...by lake nockamixon. zip 18930

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Krylon? Ew.
    Sand and stain that beaut.
    You haven't seen my work so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, the furniture is located in the Phila area. PM and I will get you more info.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    It*s sad. When my Father passed we kids all had long established homes and couldn*t absorb another house full of furniture. We tried desperately to get rid of the furniture with no takers. In the end, we hired two burly boys and a 40 yard dumpster and it all went to the landfill.

Another relic of the past is fine China. My Mother had 12 place settings of Noritake China with all the serving dishes bells and whistles. Young folks today cannot conceive of dishes you only use 2 or 3 times a year. It sits boxed in my attic because I couldn*t bear to give it to Goodwill to be sold for $4. My daughter will have to throw it away when I die along with our China and so much more stuff that only has value to us.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It*s sad. When my Father passed we kids all had long established homes and couldn*t absorb another house full of furniture. We tried desperately to get rid of the furniture with no takers. In the end, we hired two burly boys and a 40 yard dumpster and it all went to the landfill.

Another relic of the past is fine China. My Mother had 12 place settings of Noritake China with all the serving dishes bells and whistles. Young folks today cannot conceive of dishes you only use 2 or 3 times a year. It sits boxed in my attic because I couldn*t bear to give it to Goodwill to be sold for $4. My daughter will have to throw it away when I die along with our China and so much more stuff that only has value to us.
    I grew up in a town that was called the Pottery Center of the World. It's still called that but Japanese and Chinese junk took over most of the market many years ago. But, many of us still have and collect our Hall China, Homer Laughlin Fiesta Ware, and a hundred other examples and wouldn't think of tossing it in the dumpster.

And, we love bringing sets for 12 out once or twice a year during special holidays. The good news is that my kids have grown to love it too and they will keep the traditions going.

But, when it comes to furniture they all want new stuff that all looks the same to me.

Other than my daughter. She started building things with wood in college theater and today the 5-foot 100-pound woman can hang more drywall than most men and then go home and make her own custom furniture. She and her husband have a very successful high-end remodeling company that people will wait a year or more to have them do work for them.

Don't trash the furniture. Someone with vision can make it last another century. And, I live near Nock so let me know if you can't find a home for it.