Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default OWB Concealed Carry?

Hello! I typically always carried IWB and I recently started carrying larger capacity / slightly larger frame pistols that I've found sometimes can be fairly uncomfortable IWB all day long, in and out of a car/truck, etc. Constantly needing adjustment, etc. With my more preferred season on the horizon I've been considering trying OWB w/ my PDP compact since I'll have more layers. And to me, seeing the bottom 1/4-1/2" of kydex peeking out the bottom of someone's flannel is a dead giveaway, but that's me and because I know what I'm looking at lol. What I'm trying to grasp is if anyone carries this way in winter and fall and if it's caused them any issues with the bottom of the holster possibly showing, etc. Or is it just one of those things where if you're not obsessing about it yourself, then likely nobody else notices either.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: OWB Concealed Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentJennings View Post
    Hello! I typically always carried IWB and I recently started carrying larger capacity / slightly larger frame pistols that I've found sometimes can be fairly uncomfortable IWB all day long, in and out of a car/truck, etc. Constantly needing adjustment, etc. With my more preferred season on the horizon I've been considering trying OWB w/ my PDP compact since I'll have more layers. And to me, seeing the bottom 1/4-1/2" of kydex peeking out the bottom of someone's flannel is a dead giveaway, but that's me and because I know what I'm looking at lol. What I'm trying to grasp is if anyone carries this way in winter and fall and if it's caused them any issues with the bottom of the holster possibly showing, etc. Or is it just one of those things where if you're not obsessing about it yourself, then likely nobody else notices either.
    Sometimes when my pants shrink at the waistline I carry OWB even in the summer. I usually wear a light weight cover shirt and don't have a problem with the bottom hanging out. Fall and winter are even easier to cover.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Sometimes when my pants shrink at the waistline I carry OWB even in the summer. I usually wear a light weight cover shirt and don't have a problem with the bottom hanging out. Fall and winter are even easier to cover.
    I hear that haha. I have a weird proportion going on, I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam so my legs appear to be disproportionally short with a longer torso, so shirts don't reach as far on me as they would on most people I guess. I end up having to buy shirts from the tall section which is near non-existent lol. I'll just grab like an Alien gear for now so if it ends up not working for me, I wouldn't have spent $80 on a holster at least. I'm trying to find one that rides a little higher off the belt.

(Lycoming County)

I hear that haha. I have a weird proportion going on, I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam so my legs appear to be disproportionally short with a longer torso, so shirts don't reach as far on me as they would on most people I guess. I end up having to buy shirts from the tall section which is near non-existent lol. I'll just grab like an Alien gear for now so if it ends up not working for me, I wouldn't have spent $80 on a holster at least. I'm trying to find one that rides a little higher off the belt.

I'm similar proportion (5'11" and 30" inseam) I carry owb with a shirt over it quite a bit. I used to OC a lot too, but I dislike tucked shirts, especially since my waistline has expanded over the years. In my experience, almost no one notices the print or a little bit of leather/kydex sticking out. The people that do are usually gun people anyways, that know what to look for. Hell, when I open carried most people barely noticed and almost zero cared if they did around here. In the age of huge smart phones hanging off people's belts, I'd say 99% of people just assume that little bit of a print or plastic sticking out is just your case for the latest Iphone 96.

(Lycoming County)

Here's a couple pics to illustrate. These were taken a couple years ago, but I carry similar still now. Gun is a CZ82.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Here's a couple pics to illustrate. These were taken a couple years ago, but I carry similar still now. Gun is a CZ82.

Thank you!! What holster did you go with? I'm trying to find one now, I don't particularly know how I feel about Alien gear since the inside is soft I feel like it changes the retention on the holster. I was hoping to score one cheaper than $69+ but I'm finding that difficult to achieve lol.

When I OWB a semi-auto, it is mostly with a Don Hume JIT. A real value for the money.

Rick

(Lehigh County)

I've been carrying OWB for years, but due to chronic back pain that tends to radiate towards my front right pocket area it was always a discomfort. For that reason I don't carry often. Recently I've started testing cross draw in carrying on my left side. Not the quickest draw by any means, but better than leaving the gun at home.

(Berks County)

Dorff? Conway from Carol Burnett. Lol sorry
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Wayne County)

It's more in your mind than in reality.

To be honest, I've been OC and nobody's noticed, let alone if I was OWB with a cover garment like a vest or flannel. 99% of people are clueless, and this includes many gun owners as well.

I'm 11+ years now carrying OWB all the time (except when it's shorts and T shirt weather and the fanny pack comes out). Just know that when you turn your body to see if the holster is showing, it prevents your cover garment from hanging properly.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast