Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand trouble.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Hand trouble.

A few years ago I started having trouble with my hands that led me to try to ease off on some of my shooting. To do that I went to lighter loads using lighter bullets. I did one local club match firing my Model 25-2 (.45 ACP) revolver in the morning and my Hardball .45 ACP in afternoon. Damn near crippled my right hand! That was the start of the change. Last year was lost, and the year before that I only made one match, but I've been keeping up weekly practices, though typically wit .38s or 9mm. This year I've made it to some matches and October is the last for the season. I wanted to shoot the 25-2, but it has been a pretty long while since I had, 60 rounds in practice hurt. So I changed the stocks to a nice Hogue rubber monogrip and tried again yesterday, a little better but not enough for a full match.

Any one else having similar issues? I've some of Ron's best 185 gr. SWC and I can load them down a bit more, any other suggestions for softer loads?
    Penn bullets (also an excellent supplier) has a 152 gr SWC that might work anyone have any experience with it?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: Hand trouble.

I wish I could help you. I am glad that you are able to get out and shoot even a few matches. Not many guys shooting bullseye anymore.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I wish I could help you. I am glad that you are able to get out and shoot even a few matches. Not many guys shooting bullseye anymore.
    Yes including me! For the past 16 years I've been shooting what started as Club level IDPA, then changed when IDPA rule changes made staffing our matches per rule book impossible. Now it is a strange mix of IDPA and Practical Pistol mixed with Pistol Caliber Carbines too! Fun anyhow and we make the rules.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Washington County)

Did you go to a doc to try and figure out how to fix the hand strength issue?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Did you go to a doc to try and figure out how to fix the hand strength issue?
    Screw that, just adjust your powder charge. I'm kind of the same way, dont like going to the doc, so I adjust.

(Elk County)

Hogue monogrips are narrow and that transfers a higher impulse. I'd suggest a set of Pachmayr Decellerator grips. They are wider and have softer rubber and did wonders to tame a 25-10 snubbie before I learned that only 250 were made and the scandium frames readily cracked, and sold it intact to a rabid S&W collector. That 25-10 effing HURT to fire even one round with the factory grips or Hogue monos, and 12 rds messed up my right hand for 2-3 weeks.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northampton County)

real topical CBD oils help arthritis for me
    You're a sanctimonious hypocrite of a bible-spouting blackmailer !

At first I thought it was about grabbing some girls ? Anyway I have had carpal tunnel surgery both wrists,and several fingers wer trigger fingers ( locking back when grabbing an item ) I get by with 9mm loads,a lot of 22 lr shooting and occasional deer caliber 308 .My AR is also a pleasure to shoot when fingers dont get locked up,I am dome with anymore surgerys and hope you find you sweet spot in shooting sports !I also can no longer pull back on my compound bow !

(Allegheny County)

if you load, you can load some cowboy loads. I have a 25-2 in 45 colt and i have loads that do not recoil. in a semi you are limited by function unless you want to start playing around with springs and comps and such.

I used to love hand and wrist punishing loads. started hurting too much. tried impact mechanix gloves. helped for awhile.

Since then i have accepted the fact that I can't do it anymore and have adjusted my shooting accordingly.I shoot a lot of revolver now with reduced loads.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    At first I thought it was about grabbing some girls ? Anyway I have had carpal tunnel surgery both wrists,and several fingers wer trigger fingers ( locking back when grabbing an item ) I get by with 9mm loads,a lot of 22 lr shooting and occasional deer caliber 308 .My AR is also a pleasure to shoot when fingers dont get locked up,I am dome with anymore surgerys and hope you find you sweet spot in shooting sports !I also can no longer pull back on my compound bow !
    DAMN Jarhead !, sounds like you and I should be bunking in the same brig cell. In the past 6-7 years I've had (all right arm) Carpal tunnel, Cubital tunnel, Compartment syndrome (bicep), trigger finger x2 L&R, rotator cuff surgery and two months ago took a stumble down my basement steps and broke my wrist ( my orthopedic Doc used the term "shattered" ) Soooo... that being said like the OP Brick getting up there in years, I'm turning 60 in december, I have reevaluated my shooting habits. the 12 gauge slug guns are long gone, i just purchased a nice .410 mossberg pump for critter control around the home.

Im questioning keeping the .41 magnums , still scared to touch off any of them with the hunting loads, I have a bunch of mouse fart loadings for my little girl to shoot and these feel OK. the damndest thing , I start a new job in two weeks and they have a paid shutdown the week between Christmas and New year, Im looking at my .54 hawken flintlock like the RCA Victrola dog wondering what to do with that week off ???

Sucks getting old !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast