Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Clarification on the 26" OAL requirement?

I know this has likely been asked a thousand times so I apologize in advance. Just too much conflicting info out there IMO. I have read so much conflicting info that my head is spinning now.

I am trying to do a build with a 10.5" barrel PSA upper. It will not be 26" or more OAL, obviously.

In order to legally have an adjustable buttstock, without the tax stamp, would I need to measure it with the stock extended or completely collapsed? If collapsed, then it clearly won't make the cut so I'd need to put a brace on it. If so, fine.

But are there any adjustable buttstocks, using your standard mil-spec buffer tube, on the market that would get me to the 26" OAL LEGALLY WITHOUT NEEDING THE TAX STAMP? If so, which? I would like to put a Magpul AFG on this thing.

Default Re: Clarification on the 26" OAL requirement?

The barrel has to be 16"+ to have a stock. Unless you have a tax stamp

(Allegheny County)

The only thing that comes to mind in regards to that "26 or longer" thing is that you can add a vertical fore grip on a pistol if it's 26 or longer. (I think)
    I have never heard anyone discuss "stocks" when talking about overall length.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind in regards to that "26 or longer" thing is that you can add a vertical fore grip on a pistol if it's 26 or longer. (I think)
    I have never heard anyone discuss "stocks" when talking about overall length.
    26" is still a requirement of long guns but rarely comes up unless it's a bullpup or something with a really short action like a single shot

(Centre County)

Several things here:

Overall length of a firearm is measured with the adjustable (collapsible) stock fully open.

A 10.5" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an adjustable (collapsible) stock (or fixed stock) is considered a Short Barreled Rifle and requires a tax stamp.
    A 10.5" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an adjustable (collapsible) pistol brace is considered a pistol and no tax stamp is needed.

A 16" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an collapsible or fixed stock is a rifle as long as the overall length of the rifle from muzzle to end of stock (collapsible fully extended) is at least 26" and no tax stamp is needed.
    A 16" barreled AR is right close to 22 1/2" overall length from muzzle to rear of upper receiver (don't measure the muzzle device unless it is permanently (pinned/welded) mounted.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Several things here:

Overall length of a firearm is measured with the adjustable (collapsible) stock fully open.

A 10.5" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an adjustable (collapsible) stock (or fixed stock) is considered a Short Barreled Rifle and requires a tax stamp.
    A 10.5" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an adjustable (collapsible) pistol brace is considered a pistol and no tax stamp is needed.

A 16" barrel upper receiver on a lower receiver with an collapsible or fixed stock is a rifle as long as the overall length of the rifle from muzzle to end of stock (collapsible fully extended) is at least 26" and no tax stamp is needed.
    A 16" barreled AR is right close to 22 1/2" overall length from muzzle to rear of upper receiver (don't measure the muzzle device unless it is permanently (pinned/welded) mounted.
    ^^^ This is correct.

OP, if the barrel (measured from face of bolt to muzzle, not including muzzle device unless permanently affixed via pin and weld) is <16" and you use a stock, you'll need a stamp to comply with NFA, regardless of OAL. Yep, it sucks.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

Glad I asked then. So much confusing stuff out there.

As long as it's 26" OAL, but not 16" barrel, I can add the Magpul AFG right? (With a brace on it since barrel is under 16")

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post

As long as it's 26" OAL, but not 16" barrel, I can add the Magpul AFG right? (With a brace on it since barrel is under 16")
    Wrong. LOL!

An ANGLED fore grip can be added regardless of barrel length.
    It's the VERTICAL fore grip that is restricted by overall length.

("yes" to the "brace" portion)

See? It's all so perfectly clear.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post

If you're building a pistol, don't get hung up on the 26" OAL. OAL for a pistol, even an AR style pistol does not come into play.

As long as the fore grip is not a vertical handgrip, you are ok. Putting a vertical foregrip on a pistol makes it an NFA weapon (AOW - Any Other Weapon) because the addition of a second vertical grip to a pistol (or revolver) makes the fiream not meet the definition of a pistol (or revolver) and makes you responsible for a tax stamp.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

These rules sound like they were transcribed from a Joe Biden speech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast