Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Women Are Nearly Half of New Gun Buyers, Study Finds WSJ reports.

Women Are Nearly Half of New Gun Buyers, Study Finds

As gun sales reach a high during Covid-19 pandemic, groups form to teach women how to handle their new firearms

By | Photographs by Ariana Drehsler for The Wall Street Journal
    Sept. 16, 2021 7:46 am ET
    SAN DIEGO—Close to half of all new U.S. gun buyers since the beginning of 2019 have been women, a shift for a market long dominated by men, according to a new study.

The preliminary results from the 2021 National Firearms Survey, designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University, show an estimated 3.5 million women became new gun owners from January 2019 through April of this year. About 4 million men became new gun owners over that period, they found.

For decades, other surveys have found that around 10% to 20% of American gun owners were women.

The number of federal background checks for gun purchases hit an all-time high in 2020 of 21 million, according to an analysis of federal data by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, an industry trade group.

A woman receives shooting instruction at a meeting of A Girl & A Gun.
    Researchers and gun store owners attributed the jump to fears driven by the Covid-19 pandemic and the protests, sometimes accompanied by violence, that followed the police killing of George Floyd, as well as the divisive atmosphere around the 2020 presidential election.

The National Firearms Survey polled more than 19,000 adults. It is one of the largest nationally representative, population-based surveys about gun purchasing ever conducted, Dr. Azrael said.

In addition to its findings on gender, the survey found that new gun buyers were more racially diverse than existing owners who bought more. Among new gun buyers, 55% were white, 21% were Black and 19% were Hispanic. Among new women gun owners, 28% were Black. The 19.6 million existing gun owners who bought more firearms since 2019 were 71% male and 74% white.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

“What do you think is behind the increase in women gun ownership?” Join the conversation below.

After seeing women coming forward with stories of sexual assault and harassment as part of the #MeToo movement, Wendy Hauffen, chief executive of the gun-rights advocacy group San Diego Gun Owners, said she decided to found NotMeSD in 2019 to combat sexual assault and domestic violence through more women carrying firearms. About 400 women have gone through the program which pairs them with women mentors who guide them in purchasing a gun and training.

Kanisha Johnson, 39 years old, joined NotMeSD and bought a 9mm Glock earlier this year. The father of her children nearly killed her by shooting her in the head in 2017, according to court records.

“If any type of situation like that ever happens again, I just want to be better protected,” Ms. Johnson said.

At first, the sound of her gun would give her flashbacks to getting shot, she said. But now, she said she feels safer having the handgun to protect herself and her five children.

Judi Wells, left, San Diego chapter founder of A Girl & A Gun, says she recorded a radio show on how to survive getting caught in a riot.
    Elaine Pierce said she decided to sign up for NotMeSD after she watched protests against police brutality devolve into looting and burning cars in a neighboring San Diego suburb last summer. Calls to defund the police compounded her worries. “I’ve seen riots before, but the police were always there,” the 74-year-old, landscape-company owner said. With a gun, “you drive into a riot, which we’ve seen on TV, at least you have a fighting chance.”

The fear of getting caught in a riot was so frequently stated by new gun owners at the San Diego chapter of A Girl and A Gun, another shooting club for women, that chapter founder Judi Wells said she recorded a radio show on how to survive such a situation.

At a recent chapter meeting at a local range, Ms. Wells, 64, led five women in target-shooting drills. “Two to the body, one to the head,” she instructed.

Afterward, the group discussed some of the risks. Studies show gun-ownership is associated with higher suicide rates and that domestic abuse against women is more likely to turn deadly when the abuser has access to a gun.

“We are aware of the research,” said Dakota Adelphia, who runs the chapter. “That’s what education is for.”

Dakota Adelphia, who runs the San Diego chapter of A Girl & A Gun, at the Discount Gun Mart.
    The gun industry tried for decades to sell firearms to women with little success. Much of its strategy was known in the industry as “shrink it and pink it”—producing smaller handguns in brighter colors. Now, the industry is designing handguns that are easier for people with smaller hands to manipulate. Some companies have dropped sexualized marketing aimed at men, such as women in bikinis posing with new firearm models.

At an outdoor range in the Angeles National Forest outside of Los Angeles on a recent Sunday, Nielan Barnes practiced with the Girls Gun Club, a group that has grown to more than 1,500 members since it was founded in 2014. Ms. Barnes, 53, a sociology professor, got her first gun, a Glock, last September as she worried about breakdowns in the social order after watching supporters of then-President Donald Trump drive past her house on the way to rallies.

The instructors, mostly women dressed in black tops and pants, led the group through drills like kicking in the door of a fake house and quickly firing at targets in different rooms.

“They may not identify as feminists but they are empowered women who know how to use a gun,” Ms. Barnes said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/women-a...ds-11631792761
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Women Are Nearly Half of New Gun Buyers, Study Finds WSJ reports.

Makes sense. I feel like I've seen a woman buying a gun in every gun store I've been in lately.

(Columbia County)

As long as they keep voting liberal democrat they may not be able to legally own them for long.

(Delaware County)

I was told 60% of CC permits for DE county were women. That was five years ago. I suspect that number is higher today.

Without disclosing where I heard this info, I was told many women who are buying guns today were, or have been, the recipients of domestic violence or have some kind of restraining order against their significant other. I have met many women who disclosed the same. Glad to see they have decided to take matters into their own hands.

Hmmm , too many are buying for their felon boyfriends too.

However , when I went for my LTCF renewal pic , there were a few dames in line.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

Why would they need a gun while making sammiches?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Good for them!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Why would they need a gun while making sammiches?
    It's not a NEED. It's a choice and a God-given RIGHT! Sheesh!

(Chester County)

At an outdoor range in the Angeles National Forest outside of Los Angeles on a recent Sunday, Nielan Barnes practiced with the Girls Gun Club, a group that has grown to more than 1,500 members since it was founded in 2014. Ms. Barnes, 53, a sociology professor, got her first gun, a Glock, last September as she worried about breakdowns in the social order after watching supporters of then-President Donald Trump drive past her house on the way to rallies.
    Calling bullshit on article. Those women that are concerned with Trump supporters don't buy guns they get security systems installed and have police do the work.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Calling bullshit on article. Those women that are concerned with Trump supporters don't buy guns they get security systems installed and have police do the work.
    And let's be real - Trump supporters have zero history of violence as a whole. Zero. The media wants you to think otherwise due to Jan 6 but we know nothing actually happened besides some pants being soiled at the thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast