Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Selling an AR15 on Gunbroker, and shipping

Thinking of posting an AR on GB. Not selling it here, because I want to do a transfer, and most people here are not interested, understandably. Not really interested in discussing that any further.

However, how is the situation handled if someone from an area where the rifle is not legal to own, wins the auction.? I'm obviously shipping to an FFL, but is it my responsibility to know the laws of the receiving FFLs location? If I send it to a place that I was unaware of the laws, am I liable?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Selling an AR15 on Gunbroker, and shipping

I put a statement in the ad when I sell "Only bid if this item is legal in your state. I do not nor will not try to know/understand the firearms laws of every state. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THE LAWS OF YOUR STATE. IF IT IS NOT LEGAL IN YOUR STATE DO NOT BID."

If someone doesn't know, or lies, and bids and wins, when you get the information on where to ship it, call the FFL and ask them. If FFL says it's legal, ship. If FFL says it's not legal, tell the buyer you are not shipping because it would not be legal and you will refund the money less the fees the Gunbroker is going to charge you.

Either way though, I believe (need to check to make sure) the receiving FFL can accept the item but just cannot transfer it, so it would have to be shipped back to you or your FFL.

All that said, there are states, like CA, that certain firearms are illegal for the average person to own, but LEO's and other select people can own. This is why I don't even try to keep up with all the individual states gun laws.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member